Access denied from other computers on my Home Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a similar problem to one I saw elsewhere on here.
I have three computers on my Home Network - mine, my wife's and a spare that we have. All are running XP Pro SP2 (fully updated).
My router is a NetComm 1300Plus4.
Until recently all was fine. However, now I can read both the other computers from my own, but get a message telling me that I may not have permission to access my own from either of the others - Access is denied!
Thus far, I have run the Wizard and created a Network Setup Disk and that hasn't worked. I have run the Wizard individually on each of the three machines and that hasn't worked. I have checked the Firewall settings on all three and they are the same.
Any ideas at all, because I am now totally at a loss!

Have you checked for spyware? I recommend using the following 3 utilities:

• Ad-Aware 2007
  • Spybot Search & Destroy
  • AVG Anti-Spyware

All are free and found over the Internet.

almcneil said:
Have you checked for spyware? I recommend using the following 3 utilities:

• Ad-Aware 2007
  • Spybot Search & Destroy
  • AVG Anti-Spyware

All are free and found over the Internet.
Yes mate! I've got Windows Defender on here now, but I did have AdAware 2007 for a time. might give it another hit!

I no longer recommend Windows Defender. It used to be Giant Anti-Spyware which was top-rated. Microsoft bought them, made it freeware and renamed it Microsoft Anti-Spyware. Still it was top rated and I used it as a 3rd anti-spyware for my customers. But when Microsoft relaunched it as Windows Defender, I noticed it just hardly found anything! I then had a customer who was using AVG Anti-Spyware and was impressed how spyware-free his system was! So I dropped Windows Defender and recommend/use AVG Anti-Spyware now.

hello, some common problems (but im no expert!)

is file and printer sharing enabled?

have you 'trusted' the computers in your firewall software? add there IP adresses in the trusted zone. i had this problem.

you probably know these already but hey - i tried :)

almcneil said:
I no longer recommend Windows Defender. It used to be Giant Anti-Spyware which was top-rated. Microsoft bought them, made it freeware and renamed it Microsoft Anti-Spyware. Still it was top rated and I used it as a 3rd anti-spyware for my customers. But when Microsoft relaunched it as Windows Defender, I noticed it just hardly found anything! I then had a customer who was using AVG Anti-Spyware and was impressed how spyware-free his system was! So I dropped Windows Defender and recommend/use AVG Anti-Spyware now.
Thanks Al! I may just do that! I do have AdAware 2007 around here on a disk and will give it another try. See if it makes any difference!

Take care mate!

audiomod said:
hello, some common problems (but im no expert!)

is file and printer sharing enabled?

have you 'trusted' the computers in your firewall software? add there IP adresses in the trusted zone. i had this problem.

you probably know these already but hey - i tried :)
File and Printer Sharing is enabled on all three, mate!
I am only using the Windows Firewall and haven't individually added the IP addies of each computer. But, then again, I've never had to before!

Have now got the problem sorted. It required a complete 'clean re-install' on my own machine. You will also be pleased to hear Al, that I hav disposed of Defender and re-installed AdAware 2007 and AdWatch. ;)

Hello,

On the shared folders that are giving you that error:

Right Click on the folder and select Properties. Click the "Sharing" tab. Verify that the "Allow network users to change my files" check box is checked.

Please let us know if you have separate options on this tab. If so, you have Simple File Sharing disabled.

Post the outcome and we can go from there. :)

ITGuy702 said:
Hello,

On the shared folders that are giving you that error:

Right Click on the folder and select Properties. Click the "Sharing" tab. Verify that the "Allow network users to change my files" check box is checked.

Please let us know if you have separate options on this tab. If so, you have Simple File Sharing disabled.

Post the outcome and we can go from there. :)
All that had been done old mate and it still didn't work. There must have been something else floating around in there somewhere causing it!
Anyway, I now have the problem sorted and it did require me doing a full 'clean' install. I had previously tried a 'repair' install and that didn't work. Thanks for the suggestions however, my friend! :)
There had been a couple of strange things turn up of late! Including a file called boat32.exe showing up in the system32 folder and also firefox.exe in the startup registry.
The former appears to have been disabling the Automatic Updates on every reboot. The latter I do not have on the machine I use IE7 these days because I personally don't particularly like Firefox.

So everything is taken care of? I wasn't sure what you had done already so I figured I start from the beginning. :)

ITGuy702 said:
So everything is taken care of? I wasn't sure what you had done already so I figured I start from the beginning. :)
It had been a real pain in the ****!
About two weeks back, I couldn't read any body else from mine and went hunting. At that point I did a 'repair' install and that got me being able to view everyone else and all seemed well.
Two days back I recorded a tape to my wife's Hard Drive and went to save it to my machine through the Network but couldn't connect. So, I finished up saving it to her Hard Drive and then transferring it to mine via my machine and went hunting again.
No solutions were forthcoming and I finally did a 'clean' install of mine yesterday morning. Here I am 27 hours on still re-installing all the programs that I use on a regular basis! :unch:
Still have a few to go too! :rolleyes:

Beach said:
Have now got the problem sorted. It required a complete 'clean re-install' on my own machine. You will also be pleased to hear Al, that I hav disposed of Defender and re-installed AdAware 2007 and AdWatch. ;)

Mate (we say "guy" in Canada),

Did you install AVG Anti-Spyware as well? I recommend my customers use Ad-Aware 2007, Spybot Search & Destroy and AVG Anti-Spyware. Also, disable AdWatch, Spybot & AVG AS Resident Shields. I only recommend the anti-virus be running the background. Although Windows has mechanisms to prevent programs from conflicting (called semaphores), they are not foolproof. That being the case and these resident shields are checking deep within the OS, if they were to conflict deep in the OS it could corrupt it badly. Since most spyware is harmless whereas all viruses are truly malicious, just have the anti-virus resident running.

almcneil said:
Mate (we say "guy" in Canada),

Did you install AVG Anti-Spyware as well? I recommend my customers use Ad-Aware 2007, Spybot Search & Destroy and AVG Anti-Spyware. Also, disable AdWatch, Spybot & AVG AS Resident Shields. I only recommend the anti-virus be running the background. Although Windows has mechanisms to prevent programs from conflicting (called semaphores), they are not foolproof. That being the case and these resident shields are checking deep within the OS, if they were to conflict deep in the OS it could corrupt it badly. Since most spyware is harmless whereas all viruses are truly malicious, just have the anti-virus resident running.
No, I didn't Al! I don't like either AVG Anti-Spyware, or Spybot! I don't have AdWatch running at the moment, even though I have the PRO version - it tends to do all sorts of strange thing in this latest version. I like the PRO AdAware 2007 however, because you schedule it to do a regular scan!
I also have avast Anti-Virus Pro on here which is the best A-V program I have found to date!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back