TechSpot

Access denied

By duomaxwell
Oct 1, 2008
  1. Hello everyone

My hard drive died and so i replaced it with no problems because i thought i had a good back up from the windows back up utility. Unfortunately it messed up my new windows installation. I reinstalled windows again and now i am trying to pull a few files I need. I successfully pulled a lot of the files i needed. However, there are some that when i try anything to them i get access is denied. I am administrator and the files never were encrypted or anything like that. I've also tried safe mode and deleting them in command prompt. not sure what else to try. any helpful advice would be most appreciated.

PS the files i'm talking about are word, exel and jpg files. although i've noticed that some other files like .ocx, .exe. and .awd are also in the same condition. I just want to delete those files though.

2. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,398   +169

3. duomaxwell

duomaxwell TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 31

yes i am running xp, i'm looking at the help and support linke now. thanks

4. LookinAround

ok.. then aside from taking ownership to deal with files (listed above) see this also about just deleting 'em on XP

5. duomaxwell

I think this will do the trick. I noticed that i pulled the permissions down along with the files. i'm going to try, and pull down the files without permissions. It might take me a few min. before i post again. thank you for your help lookinaround

6. duomaxwell

yup thats what did it. i restored with permission messing up ownership. Thanks again lookinaround

7. LookinAround

you bet :grinthumb glad it worked

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.