Access denied

emc1950

Can anyone advise on how to gain access to my documents - i'm getting 'foldername not accessible.Access denied' whenever i try to open the folders. This seems to have been caused when my XP Home system was infected by by virus(es) and i couldn't run anything. Took out the HDD and my pal rigged it up to his Vista laptop - he was changing ownership to recover some urgent files (successfully). I put the HDD back in my XP Home pc and managed to run an anti-virus which seems to have resolved its problems but now can't access the rest of my folders. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

It is problem with regard to security settings/access rights on the folders, you need to take ownership of the folders in question using Administrator Account.

Here are the steps to take to do so:

To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps:

Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.

Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).

Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

In the Name list, click your user name*, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of the folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:

You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you click Yes.

Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.

Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

* Provided that the named account is Administrator account.

Great info :)

for each affected folder:
1) take ownership using the ADMIN

2) ADD your personal login and give full control

3) REPLACE Settings for folder+Files​

Thanks for the feedback............but i'm stumbling at the first hurdle! When i right click the folder & select properties, there is no 'security' tab (Only General,Sharing & Customise)...just to confirm, i'm logged in with administrator properties on a WinXP Home O/S.

correct. XP/Home can ONLY access the Security Tab by booting into Safe Mode.

So once you are there, fix it all at one time :wave:

Ah, Thankyou for that info Jo !!

I have forgotten about that little 'feature' of entering to safe mode to do that in Home Edition.

Yes...thats now done the job!
Thanks v.much for the help and advice - you are all what these forums are about.

Back