"Access is denied" for CD drives, except for one user

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, all,

I am running Windows XP Pro. Recently I was exploring "Local Security Settings" and fiddled with a couple settings in Local Policies / Security Options. I'm not sure if my problem is related to this fiddling, but I mention it just in case...

The problem is that my DVD-ROM drive and CD burner (Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1612 and LITE-ON LTR-52327S respectively) are inaccessible to all the Administrator accounts, a User account, and the Guest account. Only one Power User account (the one I use regularly) can access discs in the DVD-ROM drive and CD burner.

When I attempt to access either drive, I get "D:\ (or F:\) is not accessible. Access is denied." for any user except my own. In my own account, both drives work normally, including AutoPlay (annoyingly)

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers.
I've tried fiddling with Local Security Settings again.

What permission or security setting would cause me to lose access for administrators?

--posco

lol

you are your own worst enemy
the easiest fix is go into power user delete all other acounts
and stop fiddiling !!!! :giddy:

if you need to create new acounts again after that with administraion privillages. :D

If I remember correctly, there is a setting in the security policy which controls groups to have access to ejectable or removable media. Probably try disabling that policy or adding admin groups back to it. But be careful and dont lock yourself out of your own computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back