Accidentally deleted partition but data is still there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jskid

I had to reinstall Windows. There was a hard drive with storage on it, that should have been left alone, but during the reinstall process the partition was accidentally deleted. So the partition was deleted but the disk was not formatted. Now when I try to access it it says that it's inaccessible. EaseUS data recovery tool can see the contents, but the thing is it's the biggest disk the computer has so I'd prefer to repair it than salvage the data and copy it to another drive since it's the biggest.

Try this

https://www.diskinternals.com/ntfs-recovery/
Data Recovery and Unformat
NTFS Recovery is a fully automatic utility that recovers data from damaged or formatted disks. It is designed with a home user in mind. You don't need to have any special knowledge in disk recovery.
Unfortunately it looks as if this program does the same as the one you have.
DiskInternals NTFS Recovery is designed with a home user in mind. You don't need to have any special knowledge in disk recovery. The recovery process is fully automated and fool-proof. For example: the program won't let you further damage your data by restoring your files onto the same disk volume.
So it looks as if copying to another volume is a security measure to safe guard the data being recovered.

Crap. I don't see why rebuilding the partition table necessarily deletes all the data? Why is this such a difficult task?
I've had the very same question. In fact I needed to use Recuva the other day that does the very same thing.

I have not had this experience directly and have not done this to resolve this kind of problem, however, I do know that if you know the original partition parameters, you may be able to use disk manager to create a new partition with the same parameters as the old one, however, do not format the partition. Then, your data may be "just there". I recall that I once did what I suggested, and that the partition and the data were still there. YMMV

You should NEVER attempt to upgrade from one OS to the next without backing up your most important, unrecoverable data.
For that, I keep around an old 1TB Western Digital portable HDD as well as a 256GB flash drive.

when I upgraded from my 2TB HDD to a Samsung 4TB SSD, I used Aomie backupper pro (free online). took about 3 hours.

Data recovery is expensive.

Try the free software "Partition Find & Mount"

You should NEVER attempt to upgrade from one OS to the next without backing up your most important, unrecoverable data.
For that, I keep around an old 1TB Western Digital portable HDD as well as a 256GB flash drive.

when I upgraded from my 2TB HDD to a Samsung 4TB SSD, I used Aomie backupper pro (free online). took about 3 hours.

Data recovery is expensive.

Try the free software "Partition Find & Mount"
Backup before update/upgrade is a must. Though it is not freeware, I use Image for Linux - works great on all OSs http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/index.htm

I use Active @ Boot disk for all this stuff, has served me well and has been very straight forward and easy to understand.

Edit: Again not free, and I know several people have recommended other things, but if you try this out you'll appreciate it, and all the additional tools it comes with. You may not need them all, but for someone like me who does IT support and repairs on a daily basis, this is invaluable.

I think there is some confusion going on here...

Restoring a deactivated partition and recovering deleted data are two different things. The former simply reactivates the partition, while the latter can vary from simple to complex solutions, depending on percentage of data loss, type and condition of the data carrier.

I think there is some confusion going on here...

Restoring a deactivated partition and recovering deleted data are two different things. The former simply reactivates the partition, while the latter can vary from simple to complex solutions, depending on percentage of data loss, type and condition of the data carrier.

Is it though? The partition table is just deleted data, basically. ;)

The first I heard someone mention "deactivated partitions" is from yourself.) As far as I scanned through the few posts, and used ctrl+f to find key words relating to that. In which case, you would be mostly correct. Usually just assigning a drive letter. An "active" partition basically is the one the PC boots from (bootable partition). If the partition does not appear in My PC, then it usually just needs a drive letter assigned to it.

Other than those, you may want to explain what you mean by "deactivated partition", if those example are still incorrect.

Several edits: Still may have typos to edit out

Last edited:
I did this once myself and I seem to recall that I used a utility on the Ulitimate Boot CD to get my partition back - not sure if it was on the v3.0 or v4.0 disc or what the utility was, but it worked like a dream.
One thought, if easeus can see it, might it simply be that you need to assign a drive letter to the partition? it looks like you might've tried this but it's worth mentioning

All terrific suggestions!

Acronis backup all HDs/partitions before any new changes so restore takes 15 minutes when something does go wrong AND it has never failed me.

Exception is Surface Pro funky partitions and recovery process which sucks. Poor experience will keep me from ever buying another Surface Pro or Surface Book.

Several times I have been in a trouble with broken partitions (windows don't see it and need to format it), including flash drives
DiskDigger worked perfect every time to recover files and folders.

You can see the content , but you can not recover it ? do you user free version or Pro Version ? Could you send me Screenshot ? thanks

You can see the content , but you can not recover it ? do you user free version or Pro Version ? Could you send me Screenshot ? thanks
That's not what he said. He said he could see the files and he could recover them to a different drive. But the drive is large and larger than anything else he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back