Acer 1804WSMi not starting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, i've looked through the forums, and tried EVERYTHING.

I managed to break the ac adaptor, so bought a new one. All fine and dandy; charged up the battery (so say the indicator lights).

Now, just on AC, or battery, the laptop powers on for about 2 seconds and then goes off.

It won't even start in safe mode.

I've taken the memory out, hovered out the fans blah blah, and STILL nothing.

Save buying a new laptop any ideas? FYI i'm a bit thick with abbreviations so full details of what i can do next please!!!!!

Thanks

If you've tried everything you would have a working system right now because every problem has a solution.

Sounds like something is either:

1. Overheating.
  2. The PSU (Power Supply Unit) is having a problem regulating voltages.

If this were a desktop PC it wouldn't be too hard to navigate your way around the innards but I wouldn't suggest cracking your laptop open. Send it in for repair or bring it to a repair shop.

sarah4uk, few days ago i've repaired the same acer with the same symptoms. the problem - short cirquit of the videochip(ATI X600).

sarah4uk, i'm sorry, but i doubt that you can replace the videochip, unless you have special soldering equipment.

I have two Acer Aspire 5672 WLMi's. One is two years old and works OK, but beginning to show signs of old age. The other is a year and half old (my daughter's), and I had to re-install Windows XP Pro. after a crash. After that it worked fine, but WITHOUT sound. Until, last weekend, when I wanted to shut it down, which it did. And that's the state it is still in: when I power it on, the power light turns green, so does the hard drive symbol on the front......for about 2 seconds, then dies. She is currently using it in Europe with a European rated power cable.

WickedViking, if you're looking for help you are better off starting your own thread.

However, just as in this case, hardware failure in laptops is very hard for the average user to repair. The motherboard and PSU are usually some proprietary form factor. Beyond that, on most laptops pretty much everything is either totally integrated or soldered to the motherboard so you either really need to get your hands dirty (and know what the hell you're doing) to replace the faulty component or you'll have to replace the entire motherboard (at which point you may as well just buy a new laptop).

Bring the computer to a trustworthy repair shop, or contact Acer to have it looked at.

I had the faint hope

of getting some help. But your answer is a help of sorts: it confirms my fear that I have to buy a new one.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back