Acer 5920 pictures and upgrade info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayasha

Hey all, having used Acer's 5920 for the last few weeks I decided to open the little guy up and take a few shots. I didn't have time to do a full tear down so here are the first few shots. And yes all I had at the time was the camera on my phone.

The shots to take not of are the ones showing the MXM type II graphics card. So a video upgrade is indeed possible. The other being the network card and the one empty slot that mirror's it on the motherboard. Expansion? Possible to add an "N" spec or others later on? Any thoughts? Also, I forgot to take one but the CPU is not soddered in, it's your standard Core 2 Duo socket. So yes, you can upgrade it, just be careful with your thermals.

The picture with the giant white label in it is the network card. Again, sorry for the crappy quality. I'll get new ones up when I've got time to take it apart again.

Attachments

• SSPX0020.jpg
    SSPX0020.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 169
  • SSPX0022.jpg
    SSPX0022.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 164
  • SSPX0023.jpg
    SSPX0023.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 158
  • SSPX0024.jpg
    SSPX0024.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 151
  • SSPX0025.jpg
    SSPX0025.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 155
icic....
it's good to see acer can be "halfway"opened like my old travelmate.

hence it's possible to clean CPU heatsink without doing full teardown..

some series of acer does not allow this, they only allow to open the RAM and HDD case. hence when it's time to clean the CPU heatsink and fan, big teardown must be done...

anyway 5920G is a nice laptop...
my housemate has one and it's one of the most impressive acer
bad thing is that it cant be 200* opened (screen) like old travelmate series :p

I tried to lift up the bottom case lid after unscrewing all the bolts, but everytime i tried to lift it up it won't budge :(, how did guys removed the case lid? Many thanks in advance.

Can't open case

rotk said:
I tried to lift up the bottom case lid after unscrewing all the bolts, but everytime i tried to lift it up it won't budge :(, how did guys removed the case lid? Many thanks in advance.

I have the same problem. After the screws are removed, there are still two plastic pegs holding the bottom cover on. I applied a little upward force on the cover, but I did not want to break the cover.

It would indeed be helpful to receive an answer to this question.

Thanks!

Acer 5920 - How to half open

Hi I joined the community today and in finding some very interesting tech blogs.

Many had mentioned that after all the bottom half cover screws have been removed, they still could not open the cover fully. Actually there are 2 more screws in the middle which is actually masked by 2 small black round stickers. Remove them and you'll find the screws. You may save the stickers to stick them back as they were...not sure why acer masked those 2 screws...

Hi I joined the community today and in finding some very interesting tech blogs.

Many had mentioned that after all the bottom half cover screws have been removed, they still could not open the cover fully. Actually there are 2 more screws in the middle which is actually masked by 2 small black round stickers. Remove them and you'll find the screws. You may save the stickers to stick them back as they were...not sure why acer masked those 2 screws...

Hiya guys and girls newbie to up gradeing and i'm basically asking is it possible to upgrade me acer5920 so its more compatible for games like gta4 and war graft high demanding graphics and were do i look for the stuff to do it all???????please reply and thanks for the pics....interesting stufff...oh whats the best graphics card i could fit money no option??????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back