TechSpot

Acer Aspire 5000 15.4" screen replacement

By toret5
Dec 26, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was a bit too harsh on my acer aspire 5000 (I haven't been good about using it at a desk and the finishing blow to the screen was when it slid off my lap onto a tile floor after the screen had already been flickering for about a month) and I ended up damaging the screen to the point where the backlight will turn on, but the LCD part of the screen will not function. I started asking around and took the cover off of the screen to see if it was simply a broken connection or something simple to fix. I noticed that the only electrical connections are two that are at the base of the screen. After talking to a person from geeksquad (even though they don't sell Acers) it sounds like if I could manage to find a 15.4" screen that is compatible with my acer I should be able to replace it myself. However, I'm nervous that I may have not seen a connection that would require some soldering (a technique I have not yet mastered). Has anyone tried anything like this with an acer before, or could the problem possibly be something else that I may have overlooked.

2. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 2,031

Hello, toret5, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a moment to read the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
    Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, it would be easier for you to just buy a whole new monitor, plus, as you say, a connection could have broken.

3. toret5

toret5 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I understand that it would be easier for me to just get a new monitor for the computer, I have my old CRT from my outdated desktop that I don't use anymore which is how I'm posting on this forum to begin with. I have just been able to find some replacement lcd screens on ebay and a few other sites for right around $200 which I think is pretty reasonable (considering best buy would charge something like 400-800 not including installation) I'm just figuring that for $200 I'd either be able to get an alright lcd monitor or I could just get the screen for my laptop so that it could be used as a portable computer again which is the original reason that I bought the laptop over a desktop. I am just looking for possible things that could go wrong with my decision since as I have already stated, the computer still works with my old CRT monitor. As for the posting the thread in the wrong forum, it looked like I was posting it in the wrong place, I apologize for any inconvenience.

4. lamo

lamo TS Rookie Posts: 570

toret5, i recommend you to search for service manual for your acer. in that manual you'll find the partlist, which contains list of compatible LCD-screeens.
    AFAIK, you need a 15.4,30pin,WXGA screen. any of LG-Philips, or AU Optronics will be compatible.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.