TechSpot

Acer aspire 5749-6823 keyboard intermittent, touchpad a.w.o.l.

By needhelp51
Jun 1, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Just ruled out malware in other section of this forum. Laptop's integrated keyboard suffers intermittent lock-ups for no apparent reason (sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, right now, doesn't). Touchpad seems deactivated (tried FN + F7 in case of accidental disable, but that's not the case), every option related to touchpad are grayed out in 'mouse' menu (config panel). Before malware check-up,tried system restore to last week, all problems were still there, so I reverted back. I have to use visual keyboard to type. Have to work with external mouse because touchpad doesn't work. Tried reinstalling touchpad drivers from Acer website, and didn't work. Computer worked perfect a few days ago.

2. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,850   +184

Sounds like you may have some system files corrupt. This can occur after a lot of spyware. Some times just removing it dose not correct what it has already messed up. Your best maybe to back up your personal stuff. Then do a factory reinstall.

3. needhelp51

needhelp51 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 218

Thanks for your answer. sadly, I dont have factory discs for this computer. is it the only solution?

4. Cobalt006

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  5. needhelp51

Oh, I did not there was such a partition.

I am using Win 7 32-bit SP1.

Sorry for delay in response.

6. Cobalt006

Yes most computers these days have a built in factory partition. For case like where the OS becomes corrupt. The link I gave you in Post 4 will guide you threw yours. If you choose to do this. I was asking for the OS . So I could be sure I pointed you towards the right restore link.

7. needhelp51

Thank you, I will backup my data and try this.

8. Cobalt006

Your welcome. Post back let us know how it went. Plus if you have any problems.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    needhelp51 likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.