TechSpot

ACER BSOD only boots if i flash the bios

By Peter Haas
Nov 7, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hello
    I have an ACER laptop with Windows 7
    Recently I encountered the infamous Black Screen of Death

I turn on my laptop, the power on light comes on, the fan starts for about 3 seconds and then nothing happens

I tried removing the battery, removing the power supply, pressing power on for 10 seconds, putting the power supply back in and then booting without the battery connected. No luck

I try booting pressing f8 or f2.

The only way I can get my machine to boot is by flashing the bios - ie download bios to usb stick and boot the notebook using function and escape. Turn off notebook and then boot.

This works!!! However, once I turn the notebook off it wont boot again.

After flashing the bios I can access it next time using f2. Everyting seems fine in there.

After flashing and Pressing f8:
    - I have booted using safe mode
    - I have booted using last succsssful configuration
    - I have booted after restoring to default config

none of them seem to work. Next time I boot the laptop the power on light comes on, the fan starts for about 3 seconds and then nothing happens

It seems to be that the only way I can boot is by flashing the bios :(

Any ideas on what the issue could be? Im at my wits end. The system time clock is fine so I dont think the internal lithium battery is dead.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,915   +167

I'm afraid the motherboard may have to be replaced...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.