Acer laptop problem: blank screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm a student who is currently home for the holidays and I'm having a problem with my laptop. When I first tried using my Acer Travelmate 2600, the computer would freeze in the middle of using a program and I would have to restart. This happened several times until finally, the screen just remains completely blank when I turn it on. The computer starts up, but the screen is just dead.

The last time I was home, I had the same problem with the laptop freezing up, but the screen never went dead (not from what I can remember). For some reason, when I took it back to school, it started working again. I thought at first that it may have something to do with the battery pack. I left the computer unplugged while using it for awhile, and as soon as I plugged it back in, it froze up. I'm wondering maybe if it is a simple virus? I really cannot afford to get it fixed if it's a major problem, the warranty just ran out. I would really appreciate any advice you can offer!! Thanks so much.

yes it works and computer operate normally. the laptop screen is very dim to the point you cannot see info display unless you shine a bright flashlight at it then you can see a bit of normal screen

danlavigueur said:
yes it works and computer operate normally. the laptop screen is very dim to the point you cannot see info display unless you shine a bright flashlight at it then you can see a bit of normal screen

sounds like the backlight (usually a cold cathode) has burnt out. This is a verry common problem with all LCDs. It shouldn't be too expensive to fix sence the repair usualy consists of opening the moniter replaceing the cold cathode tube (looks like a small florecent lightbulb) and reasembleing the unit. But before you go through that try hitting the backlite button to make sure you didnt accidently turn off the backlight. Usually pressing the Fn button and F6 at the same time is the backlight on/off togle on acers. Holding the Fn button and pressing the left/right arrow keys raises/lowers the backlight brightness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back