Acer to offer fewer Windows devices in favor of Android, Chromebooks

Scorpus

Staff member

acer windows android chromebooks google microsoft chromebook

Acer is looking to reduce its reliance on Windows products in the coming years, instead shifting some of their focus to Android devices as well as Chromebooks. Chairman J.T. Wong said that the company is trying to grow their non-Windows business "as quickly as possible" in response to a slump in traditional PC sales.

In a conference call with investors, Wong said Acer is expecting 10-12 percent of their revenue this year to come from Android devices and Chromebooks, the latter of which currently makes up three percent of Acer's overall shipments. They're hoping that revenues from these platforms will rise to 30% by next year, in an effort to turn the company's fortunes around after posting an $11.4 million net loss for Q2 2013.

On Windows, Wong said that Microsoft needs to “reestablish or reinforce confidence among PC users", as people are holding off on purchasing decisions, or looking elsewhere. A combination of new Haswell chips from Intel, which improve the viability of portable and hybrid Windows 8 machines, as well as Windows 8.1, which addresses many of the public's concerns surrounding the OS, will hopefully make future Windows machines a more attractive option.

Acer has never been afraid of experimenting with new platforms and form factors. The company was first to bring an 8-inch Windows 8 tablet to market with the Iconia Tab W3-810, they also have $200 Chromebooks on the market, and a range of Android tablets in various sizes and price points. They also rely on sales of their Windows laptops and Ultrabooks, such as the Aspire S7 series, which have been well received by reviewers as well as users.

With an already jam-packed Android tablet market it will be interesting to see what Acer produces in an effort to catch the eyes, and wallets, of consumers. If Acer wants to do well in this area they'll need more than just a few medicore tablet offerings on store shelves.

Permalink to story.

Chromebooks need more functionality to replace my PC. Google docs is garbage compared to MS Word.

Chromebooks look neat but I won't spend money on them just limited. Windows RT are getting lower. They got one for $249 on ebay but not new factory service type (used). I have ACER (ACER/GATEWAY) gear here but they figure Android will sell more devices than Windows. Why not make more Windows 7 devices why go with Windows 8. Android getting to the point soon it would over take Windows well maybe in another 10 to 20 years. Might be less. There are all-in-one Android PC just a huge monitor tablet too me and those are not cheap.

If Android puts their heart into it they will eclipse the Legion much sooner. Legion is my word for the demons that need to be cast out of our personal computing-- MS. Those Billionaires in Legion foist beta OSes onto the paying public and collect information to work on their Money vacuuming product. My animosity dates back to MS Office 2007. As a student I really needed a dictionary and spellchecker. Did Legion care? No, they had provided us with a French dictionary.

Google had purchased the Android from a programmer, thus in 2007 the first prototype of Android tablet was born but it was a large box with 7-inch screen on it. Android 1.5 cupcake, then 1.6 donut these two started to take off. I didn't get into the game until 1.6 Donut with 256MB of RAM instead 128MB tablets.

Now look what we have today.. They still build the Android OS from the 1.6 Donut model though. They need to start fresh. I run ROM code so I see where they're at and they're still building on top of the codes. WiFi can be made better I did so why can't they do it. They just leave everything in default mode.

Just like with Windows on Microsoft side. So here we have two OS both suffer from the same poor file management in the file system. The system should be smart enough to clean out the junk data code, temps, mcx files, bad registries and memory fragmentation. Android OS suppose to be working on the NAND (internal memory use for storage an etc.)

These two companies just leave it as it is and keep on coming out with newer versions which is basically adding some new code features but in all boils down to the same old code under table.

Android app are quick because they don't follow the same type of coding and more base on java where as part of Windows Office apps is based on visual basic well your Office 2007.

Today Office 2010 was the last of the Offices with Office 2013 and 360 things are no more subscription base. I like the Kingsoft Office 2013 very light on the system but it likes to call home so I block all access to the internet. No app should call home unless it needs to update. Doesn't need to tell it's mommy someone as adopted it.

So what are these two companies doing Microsoft and Google just making more and more basically the same until they can figure out how to make the OS really be on top.

Im hardly surprised. in the past acer's line of notebooks, which consists of extensa, travelmate, aspire and ferrari were filled with bunch of models. now, it's just aspire v5 and e1 that I'm seeing around.

I just hope there will be more windows 8 tablets though. acer has been kind enough to provide quite a number of tablets, even the 8 inch one with lousy LCD.

Back