Acer unveils Liquid S2 as first 4K video recording smartphone

Scorpus

Staff member

Ahead of IFA 2013 in Berlin, Acer has unveiled the Liquid S2, a brand new Android handset that features 4K 'Ultra HD' video recording; the "first" to do so according to Acer's press release. The smartphone packs a 13-megapixel camera with a BSI sensor and f/2.2 lens, surrounded by a ring LED flash, which alongside 4K recording is also capable of 1080p video at 60 frames per second, and 27-megapixel panoramas.

The phone itself is reasonably large, accommodating a 6-inch, 1920 x 1080 (368 PPI) IPS LCD display, as well as a 2-megapixel camera, on the front. To facilitate 4K video encoding and decoding, Acer has harnessed the power of Qualcomm's Snapdragon 800 SoC, which packs a 2.2 GHz quad-core Krait 400 CPU, Adreno 330 GPU and wireless radios onto the one piece of silicon.

Speaking of connectivity, the Liquid S2 is definitely a high-end device, as you get tri-band 150 Mbps 4G LTE alongside Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.0 and NFC. Internally there's also 16 GB of storage (expandable through microSD cards) and 2 GB of RAM, plus a 3,300 mAh battery.

The device will come with near-stock Android 4.2.2 out-of-the-box when it launches towards the end of October, although at this stage it will only be available in Europe. Acer hasn't specified exactly how much the handset will cost, but expect more details when the IFA trade show starts later this week.

Permalink to story.

So how much gb per minute of recording? lol sorry but I cant see this being below a gb per minute as it is true 4k resolution recording right? im pretty sure 1080p in 1 min recording is around 100-200mb right? so wow 4k res recording is gonna be high

I just don't see the point in such a high resolution looking through such a tiny lens... seems like a waste of pixel if you ask me. Don't get me wrong, its great to see this new tech evolving but its effectiveness in this device will be small.

Back