Acer's new 27" all-in-one is a high-def monitor and an Android PC

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Acer has taken the traditional 27-inch all-in-one PC and given it a whole new lease on life with the TA272 HUL. The machine essentially doubles as a high resolution touch screen monitor and a full-fledged Android PC – wait, what?

At the core of the system is a 2,560 x 1,440 WQHD display that is said to be four times sharper than a conventional high-def monitor. The display can be tilted from 30 to 80 degrees to help dial in an optimal viewing angle while a USB 3.0 port is adequate for game controllers, USB drives or other accessories. Sporting HDMI and DisplayPort connections, the monitor can also be used as an external screen for your desktop, notebook or even a gaming console.

The all-in-one is Windows 8 certified so you won’t be held back when using it with Microsoft’s latest OS. But what really sets the machine apart from others, however, is the fact that it has an Android PC built right in.

Under the hood is Nvidia’s quad-core Tegra SoC, 16GB of internal flash storage, a 2-megapixel front-facing camera, two Dolby surround sound speakers and dual-band 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi. The press release didn’t mention which generation of Tegra chip it’s running so odds are, it is the older Tegra 3 chip and not the newer (and less popular for some reason) Tegra 4.

The machine runs Android 4.2 Jelly Bean out of the box which serves as the gateway to all things Android.

The Acer TA272 HUL is available as of writing for $1,099 via Acer’s online store and select third-party retailers.

Permalink to story.

I don....what...I dont get it
WHY would you pay that much for a non x86 desktop is beyond me. why would you want an arm desktop. especially for that much money.

But at the same time, I like the concept a little xD

It looks kinda awesome. Still it's sooooo expensive for what it is. It also needs a mouse and a keyboard.

Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks it is way over price compared to Windows based all-in-ones.

It is awesome to get 1 27" touch screen, but how large of a margin are they trying to keep on this product? 7-800 is the max I might pay, and I still would be hoping for 500-600 since I could buy a touch screen monitor (maybe not at 27") and get an android box for under 700. Also, we are at their mercy regarding OS updates. Something needs to be done about that... Google needs and OS update service and drivers need to be decupled from the OS, to let the OS features flow.

WHY would you pay that much for a non x86 desktop is beyond me. why would you want an arm desktop. especially for that much money.

It is awesome to get 1 27" touch screen, but how large of a margin are they trying to keep on this product? 7-800 is the max I might pay, and I still would be hoping for 500-600 since I could buy a touch screen monitor (maybe not at 27") and get an android box for under 700.

Well, let's do a *fair* comparison instead.

Checking Amazon, "dumb" 27" WQHD touchscreen monitors with similar I/O (but no speakers) start at $900. You can get a lower-res 27" monitor, or a high-res 27" with no touchscreen, for less, but that's not a fair comparison.

An equivalent Windows WQHD all-in-one is between $1650 and $1950. You can get a lower res Windows all-in-one for less, but that's not a fair comparison either.

So, at this resolution and with touchscreen capability, you can pay $900 for a "dumb" monitor, $1100 for this Android all-in-one that doubles as a "dumb" monitor, or $1650+ for a Windows all-in-one.

Given actual data, the pricing looks pretty reasonable to me. Of course, I'm already using the Google ecosystem (and not using Microsoft's), so Android looks like a valuable addition to the monitor to me. YMMV as always.

It is awesome to get 1 27" touch screen, but how large of a margin are they trying to keep on this product? 7-800 is the max I might pay, and I still would be hoping for 500-600 since I could buy a touch screen monitor (maybe not at 27") and get an android box for under 700.

Checking Amazon, "dumb" 27" WQHD touchscreen monitors with similar I/O (but no speakers) start at $900. You can get a lower-res 27" monitor, or a high-res 27" with no touchscreen, for less, but that's not a fair comparison.

An equivalent Windows WQHD all-in-one is between $1650 and $1950. You can get a lower res Windows all-in-one for less, but that's not a fair comparison either.

So, at this resolution and with touchscreen capability, you can pay $900 for a "dumb" monitor, $1100 for this Android all-in-one that doubles as a "dumb" monitor, or $1650+ for a Windows all-in-one.

Given actual data, the pricing looks pretty reasonable to me. Of course, I'm already using the Google ecosystem (and not using Microsoft's), so Android looks like a valuable addition to the monitor to me. YMMV as always.

Then you get the whole productivity of Windows. Android will be limited. This is more of a oversized tablet as it will lack desktop applications that the consumer might want. However for light use, sure.

So you get a fantastic, super high resolution, amazing touch screen to use for......
A mobile OS.
you're right, seems legit.

Not bashing on android; just seems pointless to use in a full blown desktop.

Then you get the whole productivity of Windows. Android will be limited. This is more of a oversized tablet as it will lack desktop applications that the consumer might want. However for light use, sure.

Well, you get the "whole productivity of Windows" *if* you're invested in their ecosystem of applications and services. Those of us who aren't feel rather lost in Windows - it doesn't really do anything out of the box until you buy and install some applications, and a growing number of people (especially young folks, but even some old codgers like me) just don't think in those terms anymore. We expect a massive app catalog of free or (occasionally) really cheap apps, and we already know and love the set we've evolved over time.

But if you're a die-hard Windows old-schooler, it's probably worth the extra money for all the extra hardware and software that Windows requires. Choice is always a feature! :-D

No guys, you can't compare Windows to Android. Android is a mobile OS and it is lightyears behind Windows in desktops. It is not meant for it and it would suck for it. There are soooo many things you can't do. Not to mention that you get a 27" desktop and all apps will run fullscreen so what's the point of it than?

@Nobina, you do realize this is a ***touchscreen*** monitor with the same number of pixels as an iPad, Nexus 10, or Kindle Fire 8.9 HDX, right?

Those were among the best-selling touch devices this past Christmas. And more Android touch devices have been sold than Windows touch devices by at least an order of magnitude.

So, no, Android wouldn't "suck" on a 2560x1440 touchscreen. It's a logical addition to a touch monitor at a modest premium. I wouldn't be surprised to see this as a trend over time, since the cost of adding Android is likely to drop into the noise in volume. Acer just got there first.

@Nobina, you do realize this is a ***touchscreen*** monitor with the same number of pixels as an iPad, Nexus 10, or Kindle Fire 8.9 HDX, right?

Those were among the best-selling touch devices this past Christmas. And more Android touch devices have been sold than Windows touch devices by at least an order of magnitude.

So, no, Android wouldn't "suck" on a 2560x1440 touchscreen. It's a logical addition to a touch monitor at a modest premium. I wouldn't be surprised to see this as a trend over time, since the cost of adding Android is likely to drop into the noise in volume. Acer just got there first.
BS. iPad, Nexus 10, Kindle FIre are all devices you can carry, you are comparing apples to oranges. I'm comparing a Windows 7 desktop PC to this Android desktop PC and from my perspective, Windows wins here by a billion lightyears, and don't get me wrong, I love Android on phones. BTW those devices sold more because people already have PCs in their homes so no need to buy them again and upgrades don't count there, just OEM PCs nobody wants.

If you use PC or whatever you have just for internet browsing, It's OK, I don't expect for you to understand.

I definitely will buy this! I mean, look, 27 inch AIO, and the most of it all is.. this machine is essentially a high resolution monitor and a full pledged android pc.. wait, what the ****?

..nvidia quadcore tegra SoC, 16 GB flash storage, android 4.2.. wait, so, it's definitely err.. 27 inch tablet?
..err, uh ..on second thought, I won't buy it.. I need a full pledged pc

ACER has 21.5 AIO for like $200 to $300. Same touch screen, but dual core. These monitors can be use with a Windows 8.1 desktop or laptop. But then again you have Android and Windows 8.1 (desktop or laptop running it)

I don't see why anyone would buy a computer with only 16 gb or even a 32 or 64. What happened to the 2 and 3TB hard drives. That would be more in line for me.

I don't see why anyone would buy a computer with only 16 gb or even a 32 or 64. What happened to the 2 and 3TB hard drives. That would be more in line for me.
It's not "hip" to have a normal PC. Only slim, tablet-like, expensive PCs are in trend now. Android and iOS are now "the ****" even on desktops.

It's not "hip" to have a normal PC. Only slim, tablet-like, expensive PCs are in trend now. Android and iOS are now "the ****" even on desktops.

My god how funny can one get. For your information most people don't care about what is "hip . " If I want a slim 'tablet like " pc , I'll get a darn tablet lol.

Android files are smaller these are basically Java base. No need for large HDD no does this tech really use them. The use memory ROM, NAND, MicroSD, SDHC, That's pretty much it.

Android files are smaller these are basically Java base. No need for large HDD no does this tech really use them. The use memory ROM, NAND, MicroSD, SDHC, That's pretty much it.

Thanks. Files might be smaller , but they still take up a lot of your space. Like my smartphone. It has 32 GB but when the manufacturer and verizon get finished with their crap , I have 23 GB left. So these computers are the same. I would never buy one. I will always buy a computer with a large HD , Like at least 1TB hard drive and at least 8G's of ram. There are no others for me.

Back