TechSpot

ActiveX

By Squashpro
Apr 10, 2006
  1. HI All

I would like to get rid of ActiveX, can someone tell me how i go about doing this.

Thanks in advance

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

ActiveX is embedded to the Windows OS itself and there is no way to get rid of it. You can tell IE not to use ActiveX of course (just set a bunch of stuff to "disable" in the security options). Google "disabling ActiveX".

Mind you, ActiveX is pretty much the only reason one should ever use Internet Explorer. If you are going to disable it, then you are better off just using Opera or Firefox.

3. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Stop using IE except for Windows updates.

Use Firefox instead. http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/ Fiefox doesn`t support Activex.

Download HijackThis from HERE. Put it in it`s own directory. Not on the desktop, or in a temp folder.

Run HJT in safe mode and place a tick in all the 016-DPF entries. These are the Activex entries.

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT and reboot into normal mode.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

4. naba

naba TS Rookie

I got an error " RunTime Error 423 , ActiveX component can not create Object" when i tried to create an object for the file system through ASP script . I want to create an folder in the root directory of server "IIS". can anyone help me with this as it is required very urgently.

5. Squashpro

Squashpro TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the answers,
    Its the litle bar that appears with activex when opening a new site, is it possible to just not get that warning bar?

Thanks

6. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

I`m not sure, if it can be disabled in IE.

However, if you use Firefox, you shouldn`t get any little bar.

Regards Howard :)

7. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,315   +618

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.