Activision announces 'Call Of Duty: World War II'

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Activision on Friday announced the next entry in the long-running Call of Duty first-person shooter franchise. Call of Duty: WWII from developer Sledgehammer Games will, as the name suggests, return the series to its World War II roots (the original from 2003 was also set during the second World War).

Details are scarce at this hour although Activision has scheduled a full reveal complete with livestream for April 26 (next Wednesday) at 10 a.m. Pacific (1 p.m. Eastern).

Sledgehammer Games, Infinity Ward and Treyarch all alternate development of Call of Duty titles on a three-year cycle. Sledgehammer was responsible for Modern Warfare 3 in 2011, Advanced Warfare in 2014 and now, WWII.

Neither Activision nor Sledgehammer has yet set a launch date for CoD: WWII although historically, games in the franchise have launched in November in time for the holiday shopping season.

Last year’s Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, which pushed the series further into the future, simply didn’t resonate with gamers the way earlier titles had. EA found success going back to its roots with Battlefield 1 and it’s clear that Activision is hoping to do the same with CoD this year.

Then again, it’s possible that CoD has simply run its course and fatigue is setting in. Either way, it’ll be interesting to see what Activision brings to the table next week in a bid to save the series.

Permalink to story.

Complete with paid DLC and micro transactions.

Want to go back to your roots? Go back to the business model that made the game that put you on the map. If you can't do that then I hope to god you go the way of anything that died in the last 20,000 years.

Personally, I hope the have a much larger, wide open map this time. The originals were good, but really only one way to solve each mission, but now days with map builds like you see in Fallout 4 and so many others, they have the POTENTIAL to have a real winner, otherwise it will be just another remake ..... yawnnnn.....

Their WWII shooters were excellent games as far as I'm concerned. MW was OK but after that, Activision lost the plot in a big way, once again as far as I'm concerned. I'll check this one out with a little bit more interest than the absolute no interest I've had since MW. I'd like to play EA's Battlefield 1 but first it's price has to be drastically reduced, I don't know when that'll happen but it will, then I'll have to make sure the single player campaign is worthwhile and not just a 45 minute affair before I see the credits roll.

Their WWII shooters were excellent games as far as I'm concerned. MW was OK but after that, Activision lost the plot in a big way, once again as far as I'm concerned. I'll check this one out with a little bit more interest than the absolute no interest I've had since MW. I'd like to play EA's Battlefield 1 but first it's price has to be drastically reduced, I don't know when that'll happen but it will, then I'll have to make sure the single player campaign is worthwhile and not just a 45 minute affair before I see the credits roll.

Single player, though I have only played the first few missions, it very cool. Its varied with plane missions and tells a lot of really cool history. Its worth checking out for sure.

Also, I think I paid like $39 when it came out, what price are you waiting for? Its like the most popular shooter of the year....it doesnt need a price drop.

If Activision want the series to ever be good again, make a pc version for pc. Its that simple. Untill then it will forever just be trash.
Changing the title or dev wont fix anything when the game itself is still the same.

Btw, Sledgehammer had lil to do with MW3, it wasnt their game it was IWs. They only did small work on it like singleplayer or something like that. I think they also did some small work in Ghosts.
AW was and still is their only CoD game they have ever fully worked on.

Unless they go back to the old ways that worked for CoD and not the garbage console versions, it will be doomed. Sledgehammer will just end up being another dev under Activision that couldnt do it either.

Single player, though I have only played the first few missions, it very cool. Its varied with plane missions and tells a lot of really cool history. Its worth checking out for sure.

Also, I think I paid like $39 when it came out, what price are you waiting for? Its like the most popular shooter of the year....it doesnt need a price drop.
Over here, on Steam, it's close to $60. The same as at brick & mortar stores but it will drop in price, eventually. That's a given.

Over here, on Steam, it's close to $60. The same as at brick & mortar stores but it will drop in price, eventually. That's a given.

Are you planning on paying full price for new CoD?

If Activision want the series to ever be good again, make a pc version for pc. Its that simple. Untill then it will forever just be trash.
Changing the title or dev wont fix anything when the game itself is still the same.

Btw, Sledgehammer had lil to do with MW3, it wasnt their game it was IWs. They only did small work on it like singleplayer or something like that. I think they also did some small work in Ghosts.

Unless they go back to the old ways that worked for CoD and not the garbage console versions, it will be doomed. Sledgehammer will just end up being another dev under Activision that couldnt do it either.

They need to invest money and get new engine on the go, how much can you milk?

I hope they have moved away from arena based maps and taken a larger battlefield approach. Also they need to revamp multiplayer so that people select multiplayer by size and not by game type. Seems as though people only play TDM on CoD games.

They need to invest money and get new engine on the go, how much can you milk?

Most definitely, COD needs a huge graphical update and maybe even a new engine.

This has to be better than BF1. What a disappointment that turned out to be. Only half the community is still playing BF4.

This has to be better than BF1. What a disappointment that turned out to be. Only half the community is still playing BF4.

I think its a choice, they are 2 very different games. I still play both, BF1 is a bit slower because of the weapon tech. I think EA and DICE have the market cornered.

I think its a choice, they are 2 very different games. I still play both, BF1 is a bit slower because of the weapon tech. I think EA and DICE have the market cornered.

Not cornered in regards to the PC community.
Current players: 30K BF1 / 20K BF4

Im not sure your point? Im talkin compared to cod

My point was DICE has slowed down. BF4 player count shouldn't be so close to BF1 this far into BF1's life. BF1 online player count on PC has steadily declined since release. Some predominately BF1 youtubers are now playing PUBG.

Last edited:
All they have to do is make a good game. WW II still has plenty of stories to be told. How would you like to cross the airfield at Peleliu? Maybe have John Basilone train you on a water cooled 30 cal? I would like to do convoy duty on a destroyer. The possibilities are unlimited.

What price? That game has consistently been hovering around $30 for the base game for a while now.

What price? That game has consistently been hovering around $30 for the base game for a while now.
I'm patient, I'll wait... it'll drop. It might still take a while but it'll drop, just as sure as God made little green apples. Even if it's a 24 hour flash sale. I picked up Batman Arkham Knight on Steam for 5 bucks on just such a sale this weekend. It may not drop as low as that for a good while yet, it's still to new and popular right now. $15 will do me just fine. Drop? Of course it will, just as sure as God made little green apples.
Oh yes, I almost forgot, the 5 skins I payed for Arkham Knight included all the DLC and fancy costume skins as well.

Last edited:
I feel you. I guess depends on what you plan on doing in the game. If single player, then totally makes sense, but if you're wanting to play PVP multiplayer, may be well and dead by the time it gets down to your price.

I'm patient, I'll wait... it'll drop. It might still take a while but it'll drop, just as sure as God made little green apples. Even if it's a 24 hour flash sale. I picked up Batman Arkham Knight on Steam for 5 bucks on just such a sale this weekend. It may not drop as low as that for a good while yet, it's still to new and popular right now. $15 will do me just fine. Drop? Of course it will, just as sure as God made little green apples.
Oh yes, I almost forgot, the 5 skins I payed for Arkham Knight included all the DLC and fancy costume skins as well.

That Batman game was much less popular. The lowest I have seen Star Wars Battlefront was $7.50, for the basic version, and that game was not received very well.

Like he other guy said, by the time it drops under $10, it wont be worth playing the multiplayer component. Do yourself a favor and pull the trigger. You wont be dissapointed. Its way better if you have friends too.

Back