Adding another CD Drive

By BigJohnHart
Mar 17, 2006
  1. I have a CD burner installed on my computer. I have tried to add a internal CD/DVD player to this same computer. When I do my other drive disappears from "my computer" I go to the device driver section and there in a yellow exclamation by that drive. When I open the computer back up and disconnect the CD/DVD drive and restart the computer the CD burner is there. I have done this before and I know I am missing a setting somewhere but I have lost the instructions to the drive. The CD/writer is at the end of the cable in the computer. I have tried changing the drive letter thinking they were both trying to use the same drive letter but that did not help. All attempts to install have failed. I run windows XP. Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

Check the jumpers. 1 has to be set to Master, the other has to be set to Slave. Alternatively you could set them both to Cable Select, but I've never been a fan of that idea.
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

When you put two IDE devices on the same cable, then the master/slave jumpers have to be set properly on both.
  4. BigJohnHart

BigJohnHart TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank You Thank YOu

I knew I was forgetting something. Will try it and let you know. Jumpers are on the back of the drive right?
  5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

yes, and you can surf he net to find jumper settings or look for similar models made by the same manufactuer.
  6. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Not to mention that anything manufactured in this century will have the jumper settings printed on.
  7. BigJohnHart

BigJohnHart TS Rookie Topic Starter

Need a little more help

Thanks guys now everything works............except...............When I put a DVD in the drive, media player indicated I did not have a DVD decoder present. They sent me to some sites where I could buy one which I may do, but it there anywhere to pick one up free like shareware or something. Thanks BigJohn
  8. DragonMaster

DragonMaster TS Rookie Posts: 327

You might have to buy one unless you have a bundled DVD playback software with your motherboard, graphic card or DVD player. If you have an ATi Card maybe you can get ATi Media Player for free.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.