Adding another CD Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJohnHart

I have a CD burner installed on my computer. I have tried to add a internal CD/DVD player to this same computer. When I do my other drive disappears from "my computer" I go to the device driver section and there in a yellow exclamation by that drive. When I open the computer back up and disconnect the CD/DVD drive and restart the computer the CD burner is there. I have done this before and I know I am missing a setting somewhere but I have lost the instructions to the drive. The CD/writer is at the end of the cable in the computer. I have tried changing the drive letter thinking they were both trying to use the same drive letter but that did not help. All attempts to install have failed. I run windows XP. Thanks in advance for any help.

Check the jumpers. 1 has to be set to Master, the other has to be set to Slave. Alternatively you could set them both to Cable Select, but I've never been a fan of that idea.

When you put two IDE devices on the same cable, then the master/slave jumpers have to be set properly on both.

Thank You Thank YOu

I knew I was forgetting something. Will try it and let you know. Jumpers are on the back of the drive right?

yes, and you can surf he net to find jumper settings or look for similar models made by the same manufactuer.

Not to mention that anything manufactured in this century will have the jumper settings printed on.

Need a little more help

Thanks guys now everything works............except...............When I put a DVD in the drive, media player indicated I did not have a DVD decoder present. They sent me to some sites where I could buy one which I may do, but it there anywhere to pick one up free like shareware or something. Thanks BigJohn

but it there anywhere to pick one up free like shareware or something.

You might have to buy one unless you have a bundled DVD playback software with your motherboard, graphic card or DVD player. If you have an ATi Card maybe you can get ATi Media Player for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back