TechSpot

Additional Case Fans

By agi_shi
Jul 30, 2006
  1. Hi all! I'm new here (check "Announce Yourself"), and this is my first "true" post.

Well, I'm building myself a system (first time). The case has a big 120mm fan (exhaust) on the back and one smaller 80mm fan on the front (intake). The side air duct should let my processor be cooled a little better. But I am still concerned about the other components.

Since there is no room to fit additional fans, what should I do? I'm under a low budget, so I can't spend too much. What I was thinking was adding a rear PCI slot exhaust fan... but then I would need to balance it out with another intake fan. But there is no room! Is there such a fan that fits in a normal 5.25" bay? Because I've got about 4+ empty 5.12" bays. I've looked and searched newegg for about half-an-hour now, but nothing.... With what keywords exactly should I search? Maybe I'm searching wrong.

Thanks guys! I'll probably be asking more than answering for now, but no worries - I shall learn! :D

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

I don`t know if you`ve heard of pci cooling fans, but take a look HERE for an example.

The fan would help to keep any graphics card you have nice and cool, as well as helping with the overall airflow inside the case.

I wouldn`t bother adding another exhaust fan, untill you`ve built the system and see what temps you`re getting. It might turn out that your system temps are fine with the supplied case fans.

Using round ide cables will also help with airflow.

Just a few suggestions.

I`m sure other members will have other ideas.

Regards Howard :)

3. i_am_a_newbie

i_am_a_newbie TS Rookie Posts: 278

You say there's an air duct on the side panel? Couldn'tyou attach a 90mm fan set up to intake air from there? I'm sure it would work. Of course, you'd need a drill bit, and to be very careful.

Also, as howard suggested, getting the round IDE cables to replace the clutter-tastic ribbon ones will drastically improve airflow.

Only other suggestion I would have is to upgrade from stock cooling, most aftermarket coolers are fairly cheap, especially ones for your CPU, ranging from $30 and up. Zalman is a very, very good brand to get CPU HS/F's from.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.