Additional video card problem

I've just taken a couple of old PCs from my parents' house and begun to upgrade them. There are video problems with both, but I'll just give you one problem for now and come onto the other later!

Basically one of the machines I want to be able to use for projection, so I purchased an additional video card. It's a fairly old machine, so it only has PCI slots. I purchased an ATI Rage 128VR from Amazon for £17 (not allowed to post a link yet, this being my first post). The original video card is separate, not on-board.

The problem is, XP starts up and begins to install the new video card (I see the balloon pop up in the bottom right hand corner) but about 30 seconds later the screen goes blank and doesn't come back on (that is, "No Input Signal" appears on the monitor and it switches off). This is an LCD screen plugged into the OLD video card. There is currently nothing plugged into the new one.

In addition, nothing appears on the screen until the Windows welcome screen appears. So no BIOS on-screen.

I also installed new memory at the same time, but wouldn't have thought that would be the problem.

I think when the screen goes blank the new card is up and running, and it's best to completely uninstall and remove the first video card before you install the second video card. The computer will run or should run with the new card in place at default settings until you get the driver loaded.

I still want to use the old video card as well though. I'd like to use one output for the monitor, and one for a projector. Or do you mean uninstall the old one until the new one is working, and then re-install the old one?

Ah. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong. How would I output to a monitor and a projector then? Would I need a video card with two outputs rather than two video cards?

That's ATI for you,, they got interns woroin their drivers from 15 years ago,, ATI CCC blows goat! end of story.

You could get a splitter that turns your single vga out into 2 vga outs. These usually require power so there is an additional box for you to plug into the wall and you need 3 vga cables for it to work. The resolution would be the same on both outputs.

Other option is a dual output card. Earlier Radeon drivers don't have a great reputation and mixing 2 different cards in the same box sounds like trouble to me.

You can find a few dual output video cards on ebay. The ATI Radeon 7500 wasn't a bad card at the time and has dual outputs.

Back