Admin rights in Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

morland

Hi,

I have Win7 installed and the PC already has 3 accounts (2 of which have Admin rights). I want to install various software in such a manner so that all existing accounts will have access to that software rather than installing the software individually by logging into the existing accounts.

Can someone kindly help.

Thanks.

Some programs have the "all users" option in the install, others won't. You will have to install these inside each users account

You can share the folder and share the program to whoever on the system you want to give permission to. Then have access to file or program. User accounts under Admin should have the names you have there. Groups the Users who are Admins should be listed there. Right click on the folder and program to give out permission for access buy such users.

@When you install programs look for the option described by Tmagic where it asks you if you want to install for Current User or All users. If it doesn't show that option then it typically will install for All Users

@tipster
I;m not sure that permissions is typically the issue (i know not for XP. haven't double checked Win 7). Unless something is truly intended for admin only

BUT regardless of permissions, there's an issue of building the menus correctly. Programs intended for ALL Users would placed in the ALL USERs menu folder so the menu entry then appears for all users when Windows builds their Programs menu display (i.e. Addressing menu structure is still an issue beyond whether or not permissions)

Hmmm... I guess i will have to explore the groups and rights related concept for Win 7. Thanks all

Take a look but i think you'll find that when you install the software, the installation will either
> Ask you the "Do you want to install for All or Current User?" question (in which case pick All) OR
> If it doesn't ask, I think it will install for all users by default

Note: Typically the difference between All vs. Current User installation is ONLY in the menu structures (i.e. so the program appears in only current user or is seen by all user menus). The software is installed the same otherwise. (typically, the software isn't actually restricted by access permissions)

/* edit */
At least that's the way i remember it, tho i haven't double checked or had reason to check if that has changed with Win 7

7 gives too much control to users and it shouldn't allow everyone to have control. Strange for MS to configure it this way. I only have the Admin and myself have rights so that would be 2 people. If I like the Kids (nephews) have full control it would be a disaster for me! That Kids accounts is limited.

You should focus on Groups and Users and the shares. Need to tighten up the ship (OS). I've done it here. Don't forget Homegroups as well as Worksgroups those sharing it completely different from each other. If you're a on domain under Active Directory Groups and Polices.

recall that the default install location is still \Program Files which explicitly denies write access
(causing some old programs like Quicken all kinds of grief )

On XP, All Users\Start Menu\Programs\{folderName}\programname ->
is just a short cut to the \program files\{folderName}\programname.exe

The newer versions of 'problem programs' (eg Quicken) now write to the users\Application Data\{folderName}\ area to avoid the permission issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back