Admin rights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I am new to this forum, seems to be loads of good info. I tried a search but
could not seem to find what I need. Hope you can help.

I have 4 machines all running xp, all are wireless networked, and files can be transfered etc providing the files on each machine are shared.

How can I setup 1 machine to have admin rights to the other 3, so I can use remote shut down and things like that.

Thanks for your help

Bun

you need to set up a remote desktop connection. firewalls must be configured to accept remote desktop connections.

You don't have to make any machine an admin.. Nor do you need remote desktop. Any management tool will just ask your for the admin password of the target machine.

See the pstools suite from Sysinternals.

I was told this morning that to get admin rights i need to have my network as a domain and not a workgroup. Can anyone help on how to convert from work group to domain.
Thanks

I had a look at the tools but don't know how to use.
Wheres my command line??
Any help
Thanks

Sorted the command line thing but it still says Access is denied.
Any ideas?
Thank you

Thanks anyway but back to searching the web for answers

You do not want to do this by setting up a Domain, the simpliest way is remote desktop. If you aren't using any software firewall other than XP's built in one then you don't have to worry about allowing that, XP will make an exception for you when you set up Remote Desktop.

I have no idea what you are asking anymore.

Remote desktop allows you to run the remote computer just like its sitting in front of you, the only thing you can't do is physically touch it (well a few others but those aren't relavent here).

I would like admin rights without using remote desktop, like a proper network in an office. I can't imagine they would use remote desktop.

Nodsu had the idea...are you there Nodsu!
Tried pstools but I cant connect to any machine from the command prompt.
Any ideas. Thanks

bun said:
Tried pstools but I cant connect to any machine from the command prompt.
"Can't connect" means what? Do you have firewalls active on the target computers?

If you want cenatralised rights management as in a "proper" corporate LAN, then you have to set up a Windows domain. Meaning that you have to buy Windows Server or set up Samba.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back