Adobe is bundling Shockwave Player with Norton's security software

By Shawn Knight
Jan 25, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. It's recently come to our attention that the installer for Adobe Shockwave Player is coming bundled with an optional installation of Norton Security Scan. The bundle was pointed out by…

Read the whole story
  2. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,937   +157

Looks like ill be cleaning this off my gran pas computer in the near future
  3. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

We still using shockwave? I thought they retired that...

NTAPRO TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +102

Better norton than mcafee :)
  5. motrin

motrin TS Enthusiast Posts: 159   +12

"pretty difficult to remove"

yea! I had to boot my friends pc in safe mode to remove norton, and installed Avast
  6. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,101   +95

I wish they would knock this $#!* off. Both Norton and Mcafee are crap.
  7. Well in my experience with third party software, and check boxes is that they never work, every time i have to go and uninstall that **** manually, no mater check box was checked or unchecked. Ask is really annoying.
  8. i like norton, it has just gotten too bulky. ofcourse, the bundling is for the intension of your grandma purchasing it after a few weeks. mine did but it was too late to say no, she already paid the $60 on the old pentium dell xp.
  9. We've had a few users that installed Norton which then slows things down when it conflicts with our standard anti-malware program. I have been able to uninstall it without any problems though.
  10. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 811   +93

Down your free copy of Norton Is-a-virus 2012
  11. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,926   +185

I thought I had uninstalled the Shockwave player, it was still in add/remove programs but of course the uninstaller did not work.
    But just like Norton Adobe has written special uninstallers for their crap so the solution is right here:

It's not like any websites use Shockwave anymore, Flash on the other hand :(
    On that note please give Oracle the free advertising they deserve for bundling toolbars with the Java Runtime!
  12. Chazz

Chazz TS Evangelist Posts: 669   +72

As well as Microsoft with the bing toolbar that gets on my nerves. And Google with the Chrome browser that also annoys me.
  13. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,293   +55

Altho I like firefox, one check box I hate checked is the "make firefox your default browser" when installing it. So many xp users have screwed up their windows update, etc. due to this. I even informed mozilla of this, but no change. It is often difficult to get ie back; different in every version of windows.
  14. mopar man

mopar man TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,379

Setting it to be your default browser will not affect anything; Windows Update works through IE like you said, however, doing so does not remove IE from your system.
  15. veLa

veLa TS Evangelist Posts: 702   +165

Norton isn't my personal choice as an anti-virus, but I see no reason why the average user, who probably doesn't know how to run a firewall or av, would mind getting a nice little scanner from a reputable brand like Norton for free.

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.