Adsl: U.S.B or Ethernet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shnig

Hey I just got a asdl connection and its running okay through my usb port but it says in the manual the Ethernet is highly recommened. What do ye think?? Is it worth buying a netwark card to use adsl through? What are the differnences? Thanks in advance.

Networking cards don't cost too much, but it's slightly better to run ethernet. As USB runs at 12Mbps and ethernet is 100Mbps (I think 100Mbps, gosh I should know this I'm taking networking classes to get my CCNA). You can go to the store and buy a really good one for about 10 bucks, but, unless you're running super fast internet, you probably don't need it. As you probably wont be going more than 12Mbps. Or are you?

DSL modems are always 10Mbps, so the speed difference between USB and Network should not be a deciding factor.

I would choose ethernet because of the following reasons:

1.) Cross-platform compatible. You don't need drivers, which means it works on any system with a network jack.

2.) Simple installation. No need to install drivers and screw up your system. Just plug it in to your netcard and install your DSL connection software (or configure manually - recommended).

3.) Frees up a USB port. USB ports on most systems are a valuable resource.

4.) Better performance? The bandwidth is negligable, but the overhead of CPU usage through the USB port may be more noticable than using your network card.

5.) Multiple computer configurations. Network modems make it easy to add additional computers too, where USB modems are limited to the addition of equipment such as routers etc...

No tips, really.

Manually means connecting to your provider without having to use their software etc...

Your ability to connect to the Internet without using your DSL provider's obtrusively invasive software will depend on your DSL provider.

Some people like using the software bundled with their DSL service (browser, connection managers etc...).

I prefer setting up through network. If you check out your provider's website or give them a call, I'm sure they'll walk you through what to do if you don't already connect that way.

Windows XP supports PPPOE connections (most home DSL uses this). Older versions of Windows do not. It is also possible your DSL provider works using assigned IP address etc... There are a few ways to connect. You'll just have to check out their website or give them a call for more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back