Adults in the U.S. check their phones 352 times a day on average, 4x more often than in...

Tudor Cibean

Staff
Why it matters: Smartphone addiction has become a real problem in the past decade, as people spend more and more time browsing through social media and playing mobile games. There's even a word for this fear of being without your phone or without cellular service, nomophobia.

In 2019, Asurion published a study indicating that US residents checked their smartphones an average of 96 times per day, or about once every ten minutes (when accounting for eight hours of sleep).

The company has recently done a follow-up study and found that the number increased nearly four-fold to a whopping 352 times a day. That would mean the average American checks their phone about once every three minutes.

The survey was conducted between March 2 and 9 of this year and involved almost 2,000 US adults of various ages. According to Asurion, three-quarters of respondents consider their phone a necessity rather than a luxury, and 20 percent of them are unwilling to go without it for more than a few hours. Another 75 percent of people even admitted that they take their phones into the bathroom with them.

The statistics per generation are even more interesting, as 75 percent of Baby Boomers and 76 percent of Generation Xers consider their phones to be a necessity. That's slightly higher than the more-techie Gen Zers (71 percent) and Millenials (68 percent).

As for the reasons we're so attached to our phones, 86 percent of people said they mainly reach for their phones to keep in touch with friends and family by calling, texting, and through social media.

Taking photos and videos was the second most popular reason at 61 percent, followed by mobile banking at 46 percent, mobile gaming at 40 percent, and online shopping at 31 percent.

Permalink to story.

Interesting to see the Millennial statistic. As a Millennial on the older side of that spectrum, I do think it adds up though. We lived half our childhoods or more with very little or no technology that wasn't pretty rudimentary and the other half with an extreme tech boom/usage. So nothing is fresh and exciting, but we also remember a time before technology dominated our lives, which perhaps there is some longing for the simplicity of those days.

I know I try to take it easy on Tech usage, even as a Systems Admin, I try to spend less time on technology at home and will definitely not use it when visiting family and friends.

Why wouldn't they? Phones are amazing.

They've replaced newspapers, books, magazines, journals, diaries, TVs, videos, dvds, catalogues, pamphlets, memos, phones, cameras, personal computers, consoles, walkmen, stereos, etc etc.

We have a habit of focusing on the bad stuff, but let's be totally honest, these things are an incredible window into culture. Now if you spend all your time looking at rubbish, well then arguably that's your own problem.

Last edited:
I keep my phone on airplane mode unless I need to make a call. Beyond that, I mainly use my phone for listening to music (while remaining on airplane mode).

I've found life to be much more fulfilling when I actually engage with people face to face verse online interactions, and not alienating people by looking at my phone every 30 seconds. Mind you, here I am (on my PC) responding to a Techspot article, but I'm taking a break from building a green house.

They've replaced newspapers, books, magazines, journals, diaries, TVs, videos, dvds, catalogues, pamphlets, memos, phones, cameras, personal computers, consoles, walkmen, stereos, etc etc.

Absolutely none of that has been replaced, maybe "amended and ignored", and half the list is high-tech.

We have a habit of focusing on the bad stuff, but let's be totally honest, these things are an incredible window into culture.

FB, reddit, Twitter, 4chan are "incredible" windows? Lol

We have a habit of focusing on the bad stuff, but let's be totally honest, these things are an incredible window into culture. Now if you spend all your time looking at rubbish, well then arguably that's your own problem.
But let's not forget it also raised the body fat levels of millions, massive increases in trips to optometrists for glasses, and almost killed the good old handshake.

Screw "smart" phones. They are for power outages if I'm on the road and for direct communication and nothing else.

Last edited:

They also replaced intelligence, personality, character and in-person social skills, and produced zombies.

Once every 3 minutes equals 20 times an hour. Now I don't know what they mean in this case by "checking" a smartphone but I, unfortunately, do experience daily (so around 7 hours of work, with about 1-1.5 hours coffee and chow breaks) a lack of productivity and attention from some of my younger(in their early 30's) work colleagues, because they spend too much time looking down at their smartphones.
Also I don't buy that 75 percent of Baby Boomers, so 60-80 year-olds, consider their phones to be a necessity, if they were referring to smartphones. In my experience most elders don't even know how to use a smartphone. But hey, maybe it's different in Murika.

Culture, yeah right they're reading Shakespeare, not "10 boobjobs that went horribly wrong" posts.

The smartphone paradigm's seed came from a place of smug, cynical minimalism, and has become a vehicle for total surveillance, a trojan against right to repair, and yet another obnoxious means to push advertisements into our face in a world already far oversaturated with it. Rubbish isn't something from the outside that pushed its way in - it was rubbish at its core from the very beginning; that's the entire point of "planned obsolesence." The day when the rest of the world wakes up to that fact and bins this paradigm cannot come soon enough.

You forgot to add water, food and air to that list. Have you learned how to WorShip the Holy Smartphone yet? Be warned, you don't have much time left!

Boy, if a bug got into the cellular network, and took it down for a few hours, kids would be running rampet in the streets. LOL.

The numbers are only going to rise. Public education has made it mandatory to have your kids faces glued to these devices (online curriculum / Williams Legislation). Has it made them smarter? Nope. In fact the opposite, assessment scores are down more than ever in K-8.

The addiction is real, just take away a tablet from a child and see what happens. Same as a heroin addict. Instead of a tool, they have become a baby pacifier which public education uses to keep kids occupied until they inevitably 'pass' to the next grade (remember you can't fail kids anymore..).

Apple and Google did an amazing job with their business plan I'd have to say, they profit from selling to Education and create lifetime customers, err addicts, whichever way you want to look at it. Win win.

They said the same thing about TV, video games, video nasties, pop music, heavy metal etc. It will rot your mind. Work of the Devil, ban it, ban it, ban it!!

Yes there is a lot of garbage on the Internet, but people will be people no matter what medium you give them. If you learn a handful of useful things on your phone, amongst all the other rubbish you look at,l every day, than its probably worthwhile.

I'm still wondering how the zombies manage to watch movies, etc. on a screen so small and listen to music produced by a speaker the size of a grain of rice.

Thinking I'm not the average American then. I check my phone maybe once an hour, if that.

Back