Advice on new computer parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

kesler

I am going to need a new computer for my business. I need to know the best harddrives to buy so I can set up raid. My understanding is to have a set so if one goes down I won't lose my info. Am I going to have to use vista when I do this? Question 2 Can I install an operating software on an external hard drive?

Most hard drives are excellent nowadays. I would avoid Hitachi, TriGem, and Maxtor.
Seagate has a five year warranty. Western Digital seems to be over their major troubles. Samsung will soon have a fire year warranty as well.

Toshiba, Seagate, and Western Digital make the best laptop hard drives with Samsung coming up fast.

Drives with high rpm speed do not last as long as the 5400 rpm... and high capacity drives over 250 GB are much slower than those at 250 and below. Nobody yet knows the life expectancy of drives 320 GB to 750 GB... so buy with caution. One of the best drives I know is the Seagate 250 GB.

RAID is good for high speed gaming, but do not count on RAID as a good backup for Data. It is very difficult to recover files from raid drives... consuming huge amounts of time... Read extensively about RAID before use use it for security purposes. It takes brains and time and lots of experience to make RAID pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back