TechSpot

After a AGP 4X value card?

By Ural_
Jan 4, 2006
  1. I am after a video card that will support 4x AGP and for the card to have 128mb of memory or over, but I am on a really low budget of $60 does anyone one know of such a card? (A card that could atleast play games like doom 3 and Painkiller on very low graphic settings)

2. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,291   +25

3. Vaerilis

Vaerilis TS Rookie Posts: 64

The card mentioned in the post above has a 64bit mem. controller, so I think that an old-school, (but 128bit) R9550 could top it. Link
    An ordinary 6200 would perform better than a 9500/9550/9600 card, but a 64bit one wouldn't.

4. Rage_3K_Moiz

5. Vaerilis

It doesn't really matter if a budget card like these ones has 128 or 256MB of memory and the FX 5500 is not necessarily better, than a 9550. The 5500 is essentially just a heftier 5200.
    A review, with not exactly the same cards, but very similar ones
    According to the benchmarks, the 9550 is at least as good as the 5500.

A foreign test featuring the very Asus card mentioned above
    The conclusion of the test is, that the 9550ge is almost as good as a 9600.

The 9550 used to cost significantly more than the 5500, but now that they can be acquired for roughly the same price, the 9550 is a better choice.

6. Ural_

Ural_ TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 114

I was thinking of getting a 9550 myself but the card doesnt support some games like Halo on pc, but if it is a good card which will play most new games at a fair framerate I will buy, first I'm going to investigate a bit more though.
    Thanks for the replies (Nice to hear replies in an internet forum unlike other sites)

7. Ural_

Also I forgot to ask would those cards work on my computer since my pc only supports AGP 4x 1.5v?

8. Vaerilis

Halo can be played on a Geforce 3 (and all DX8-era cards), a 9550 would have no problems running it.

Here's a link to the card's specifications, it supports 8X and 4X AGP.

9. Ural_

A lot of video cards can handle halo but the 9550 isnt supported by halo, 9000,9200,9250,9500,9600 are all supported but the 9550 isnt. sorry I don't have a link to the site where I looked it up. Thats the only reason why I am not buying the 9550 anyway.

10. Rage_3K_Moiz

An FX5500 is the next best choice then, isn't it?

11. Ural_

I guess it is, just I don't know much about geforce cards, Ill try and buy a card from ebay rather then newegg since in newegg the currency is in USD and I live in Melbourne, Australia ebay can have great video card bargains and new cards aswell

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.