After new mobo/CPU vidcard freezes/shuts down (assuming card)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnugen

I just installed a brand new MSI K8Tneo2-f mobo and an AMD64 3500+. I was expecting leaps and bounds better graphics in my games, well.........I got the exact opposite. I have an ATI 9800pro. Now when I start a game, I get either what looks like a monitor gone into standby mode, screen goes black light goes to yellow, or the game freezes or the game freezes and I can move my mouse...but only vertically and one position. This happens within a minute including loading time for the game. Oviously I can still surf and work on the desktop seeing how I can post here. Does it sound like my card is cooked? It was fine the moment before I took the old board and chip out, played a game so I could get a fresh comparison. I already placed a Vantec ICEBERQ fan on the card, the old fan died. Is it possible the new board heats the card beyond this coolers capacity? I am not entirely new to mobo/cpu replacement, but this is the first time I've had this happen. I can't see anything obvious in the BIOS settings.................can somebody make some suggestions or give me a link to a good vidcard tester before I go buy a new card. Sapphire 9600XT 256m, any good........just in case.

Are you 100% sure that you have the correct driver for your graphics card. If you are using xp64bit there will be a different driver to the 32 bit version.

Also, what happens when you run dxdiag? To do this click your start button, select run then type dxdiag. Go to the graphics section and run all the tests.

Hope this helps. Rik.

It's not 64bit XP. Should I be running 64bitXP now ? I never even considered that. I was running the cat5.8s and grabbed the 5.9s when I got it running, after running into the problem I backdated again to the 5.8s and still there. The proper drivers were being used.

I recently built an AMD 64bit pc for a friend and couldn't get xp32 to run properly on it although it should have according to many sources. He took 32 back and got 64 instead and his pc works fine although there are still a lot of compatibility issues with 64 but the industry is slowly catching up.

So the decision is up to you.

Hope that helps. Rik.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back