TechSpot

Agp slot problem..

By Gyurme
Nov 22, 2006
  1. Hi guys (first post :D !),
    I recently bought a Geforce 7300 gt(AGP 4x/8x/PCI Exp) card for my old home rig (my mains in my dorm overseas) and I'm having some problems fitting it in.
    My rig's specs are :
    Processor: Intel Pentium-4 2.66GHz
    Board: Intel D-845 GEBV2 with onboard audio and video
    Video: On-board graphics card i.e. Intel Extreme Graphics
    RAM: 512 MB DDR Ram
    From the manual:
    The D845GEBV2 can use 1X / 2X / 4X card(s) operating at 1.5V.

I'm pretty certain the card does operate at 1.5V (its got a port for ext power supply anyway) after checking the design with this site and others (http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html)
    So have I missed something or are they not compatible??. It may be a problem with the agp latch but I just want to make sure in case I end up frying something :) Thanks!

2. sghiznaneck

sghiznaneck TS Maniac Posts: 403

I'm a bit confused...
    You started out by saying your vid card is a 4X/8X/PCI-e card, then state that your mobo has integrated graphics. Is the card an AGP or PCI-e card? Does the board actually have an AGP slot? Does the card actually have a dedicated PCI-e slot? If it does have an AGP slot, is it an AGP 3.0 or an AGP 2.0 compliant motherboard?

3. sghiznaneck

I've checked out that particular board and it does have an AGP 1X/4X slot. I'd need to know the brand of the vid card because I believe that you have a PCI-e card, and the board doesn't support PCI-e. If you found an AGP flavor of that card, it won't work because it requires a dedicated AGP 3.0 compliant slot.

4. Gyurme

Gyurme TS Rookie Topic Starter

Sorry about the confusion, the card is the agp 8x/4x version of the geforce 7300 gt, the motherboard is AGP 2.0 compliant with one available agp slot.There is no Pci express slot.

5. Gyurme

:( just saw your reply, so I guess agp 3.0 slots have a different shape to agp 2.0 ones.Thanks for the quick help though.

6. sghiznaneck

What's the brand name of the vid card?? The brands which I've looked at on the net all seem to require a 3.0 slot.

7. Gyurme

8. sghiznaneck

Checked out the link. The key is in the specs. 8X/4X AGP slot WITH full expansion slot. That board is only a 4X compatible. Most of the latest AGP cards are 4X/8X cards, but and 8X 3.0 slot is a little different than the 4X slot. If the card you have doesn't fit quite right, AND DON'T FORCE IT, then the slot is only a 2.0. A lot of people get confused because a video card states that it's 4X/8X compatible, but it's the slot on the mobo that makes the difference. An AGP 3.0 compliant card is a little longer and the cutout is in a different place. The 3.0 slot will take a 4X card, but you won't get the speed (bus passes) of an 8X card. Sorry.

9. Gyurme

I had a bit of a problem previously with the agp slot latch on another card so I was hoping that was the reason.. oh well thanks again for the help. :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.