Airbnb bans indoor security cameras from rentals

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
A hot potato: While on vacation, there is a reasonable expectation of privacy within your booked dwelling. Most people would not be comfortable knowing the rental owner is watching or recording them during their stay. However, with hosts increasingly wanting to watch for damage, theft, and other violations, more guests discover they've been on Candid Camera.

On Monday, the vacation rental app Airbnb banned properties with indoor surveillance cameras. The company states it is prioritizing customer privacy. Airbnb hosts have until April 30, 2024, to remove any security cameras within the rental property, regardless of their placement or purpose.

Previously, hosts were allowed to have cameras in "common areas," like hallways, living rooms, entryways, and kitchens. Bathrooms and bedroom cams were not allowed for obvious reasons. Furthermore, hosts could not use hidden cameras. Airbnb required all video surveillance to be visible and disclosed in the rental listing. While the new policy forbids indoor cameras completely, outdoor cameras are still allowed. However, they must face away from windows. It also prohibits outdoor cameras situated to view or placed inside private areas, such as saunas or outdoor showers.

Another technology affected by the rule shift is decibel meters, which some hosts began installing when Airbnb banned renters from holding house parties in 2022. While these devices are still allowed, hosts must declare them in their rental description and can only place them in common areas. Video doorbells are still allowed as long as hosts declare them to guests.

The changes follow increased customer complaints regarding hidden cameras in their rentals, including in sleeping areas, which the rules have always disallowed. Until now, the company has maintained that there is not much it can do about covert surveillance.

Airbnb didn't indicate if there was any regulatory pressure leading to the ban, but increased scrutiny of privacy policies in other tech sectors makes this a distinct possibility.

"These changes were made in consultation with our guests, hosts, and privacy experts, and we'll continue to seek feedback to help ensure our policies work for our global community," said Airbnb Head of Community Policy and Partnership Juniper Downs.

These policies raise the obvious question of enforcement. How can Airbnb police millions of rental properties in hundreds of countries? It's a big ask for even the largest corporations. However, the company plans to rely on community policing. When Airbnb receives customer complaints about cameras inside the home, it will initiate an investigation. If it finds that hosts violated the camera rules, their rental listings could get pulled or banned.

The policy change might be a dealbreaker for many hosts who want the peace of mind that a rude or inconsiderate renter is not destroying their expensive rental property. However, looking at it from the perspective of a hotel, the camera ban makes a lot more sense and shouldn't hamper insurance claims or civil and criminal proceedings.

Under terms and conditions, Airbnb does not require guests to tidy up after their stay, as hosts are encouraged to add cleaning fees to the rental price. However, hosts can forward the costs of damages, missing items, or unreasonable messes to the renter after the stay. Most hotels do this to recover expenses from guests taking things they shouldn't, like towels, robes, and pillows, and it doesn't require 24/7 monitoring.

Permalink to story.

For airBnB should be banned. They're a "tech company" so they have a hands off approach to all the properties. There are no requirements for being a "host", I think sex offender should be at the top of that list. And I've never had a good experience at one and we often stay at them because there is new construction in places that don't have hotels near by. It's literally to the point where on remote jobs, many people just tow their RV and stay on the job for a week or two.

For airBnB should be banned. They're a "tech company" so they have a hands off approach to all the properties. There are no requirements for being a "host", I think sex offender should be at the top of that list. And I've never had a good experience at one and we often stay at them because there is new construction in places that don't have hotels near by. It's literally to the point where on remote jobs, many people just tow their RV and stay on the job for a week or two.

Not only they contribute to housing crisis, a stay at a hotel is for more pleasurable and things actually get rectified. Because for a hotel, they are providing an actual service, not a space.

To me, AirBnB is just another "hipster" thing. I'd rather stay at a hotel. Most are located within walking distance of other
services like restaurants, shopping etc.

Why would any property owner want to subject their home to the abuse dished out by AirBnB renters? Not to mention the things that are going to come up broken or missing after guests leave. And how is AirBnB even going to enforce such a ridiculous rule regarding security cameras? There's no way they're going to inspect properties for cameras, and even if they did, cameras have become so small that they're virtually undetectable. I've seen cameras for sale that fit into wall outlets, smoke alarms, USB charging dongles, light bulbs, etc....

I stay is a very nice AirBNB every year. 1000% better location and a better price to a hotel.

The product has really kept hotel/motels partially honest.

Holiday home rentals are getting a bad rep in last few years a fee for this another for that- then tax on all that , like some monty python skit, I had a real life one of those in the Bale Mountains in Ethiopian in the mid 90s.
Now admittedly some tourists had been held for ransom for few months back
I was just 1 person - You need a ranger with a gun , you need a scout , you need a mule and a mule person , Now you are 4 ( including me) , you need another mule and a chef , another ranger - Think when they got to 9 people and mules I said forget about it.

Further North met a polish woman - I managed to convinced park officials in Simien Mountains just needed to engage 2 people and a mule . The ranger with the gun can also be a scout , and the mule lad ( those guys were meant to provide own food - but supplied theirs as well ) . Not sure the ranger/scout even had any or many bullets for his AK47

But holiday homes used to be great - has some real nice ones for my family

We stayed in a beautiful one in Kapoho on Big Island only for say $250 a night in 2018 . You could tell it was going to be someone's retirement home . 2 Weeks after we left it was all gone in the lava flows - Million dollar homes gone , most with no insurance . lava was already flowing higher up as we flew to end our stay in Honolulu . Given that the resort we stayed in Maui was nice - swimming pools , gym, breakfast , nice apartments etc . Apparently Hawaii has really jumped in priced post Covid . shame about Lahaina - we saw a local show and had traditional food there . Really hard to get out a narrow road around the coast

Thing is a lot of us here are older - we had it nice . you could stay in say Tulum/Cozumel on some hippy beach for one or two dollars - now those places are much more expensive resorts

California surfer dudes would head down to Baja just on a Californian drivers license and stay in a beautiful spot for peanuts . Or others cross the border in El Paso or San diego/Tijuana for a cheap night out
In the 80s gas 80 cent a gallon , some real horror movie motel 666 for $40 a night of the I40
Truckers got free meals and showers for filling their rig - apparently not so much anymore

Times are a changing

Back