Alienware 15 Review: Designed for high-end gaming

Scorpus

Staff member

alienware review dell laptop gaming laptop alienware 15

A few months ago I reviewed the Alienware 13, which was designed as a mid-range gaming laptop that could be given a serious performance boost with the optional Graphics Amplifier. While the idea of an external GPU is promising, the chunky design of the laptop paired with its merely average hardware didn’t make the system as attractive for laptop gamers as I would have liked.

Enter the new Alienware 15. This much larger gaming laptop from Dell’s performance brand is a completely different story. Designed for high-end gaming, the Alienware 15 packs powerful hardware rivalling decent gaming desktops, including flagship mobile GPUs from both AMD and Nvidia. And like other Alienware machines, the 15 is highly customizable, with pricing ranging from $1,200 up to $2,700 depending on the hardware inside.

Read the complete review.

I find it funny and strange that the performance is not compared with the ASUS ROG laptop series since, in my opinion, is the competitor of Alienware. All I see is comparisons with machines that are not build for the same purpose, so a bit pointless to me in comparing those...

Good machine for a game developer or a video editor.

Other than that, I've always laughed at the "serious gamer" oxymoron.

Now that Alienware has discontinued the 18, I'm wondering how this compares to the 17? I'd also still love to see if a single 980 beats dual 880s in the 18...

And how does this compare to the MSI Dominator series? I believe those are the real competitors to this laptop....

Again a laptop with cooling under it.... that is a no go for a gamer.. msi and asus still beats aw on the most important part, the cooling! dell, pull ur asscheeks together and make real machines again!

I have a pre Dell buyout m17x R1 and it is still as good as the day I bought it... Although the video is a bit out of date (8800 GT) I can still run anything I play.

Alienware's are cool and all but they are overprice and bulky IMO. I find it interesting how the 860M outperforms the 980M in some tests. Probably just a bug

I find it funny and strange that the performance is not compared with the ASUS ROG laptop series since, in my opinion, is the competitor of Alienware. All I see is comparisons with machines that are not build for the same purpose, so a bit pointless to me in comparing those...

We can only test with what we get sent

As mentioned in the review the price of these current Alienware devices is actually decent.

I find it strange that a 15 inch laptop is being stated as not portable? It might not be as thin as the Razer, but come on... really, not portable, thats such a ridiculous statement. The Alienware 15 is perfectly portable. I suppose if you are trying to state this as a comparison I might believe you. So what? its not a Macbook Air, but it is portable.

Back