Alienware - Good for WoW / CS:S?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All Alienware PC's will run WoW to the maximum of it's potential. They are top of the line PC's that don't skimp in any department, hence the high price tag!

Most people avoid them simply because if you're tech savvy, you can build a comparable or better PC yourself for much, much less. But if the extra expenditure doesn't matter to you, they are very powerful PC's.

That being said, WoW currently has a problem with dual-core CPU's. It limits the in-game framerate to like a max of 68 fps tops. Blizzard has been promising a fix for this but has yet to provide the fix/patch. So, in other words, for the case of WoW, you'll be spinning your wheels unable to use all the power your new system will have.

But, when the patch eventually does come out, And this problem is fixed, My Dual-core processors will be able to Run the game really well, Right?

I have a couple questions. I don't know what kind of Graphics card is good for WoW. Would a 512 MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7950 GT graphics card be ideal for WoW?

Secondly, How many GHz should i gaming computer usually have? Mine will have 2.13 GHz. Is this Ideal for WoW?

Lastly, I have 1GB RAM. (1GB DDR2 Performance SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 x 512MB). Again, Will this be good enough For WoW?

Please help me out,

Thanks.

a 7950gt could would basically be able to max out the settings for that game, or any for that matter. They are very powerful cards, and for the price, they can't be beat.

1GB RAM is the recomended amount for most new games. I would recomend upgrading to 2GB's after a while though, coz it will really help when playing games such as Battlefield 2 or Oblivion.

Yeah. Im Mostly just into games like WoW and CS:S, though. But i'll keep that in mind if i ever am wanting to buy Battlefield 2 or Oblivion.

Do you know How many GHz A good gaming CPU should have?

It's not always how much GHz a processor has. If you tell me how much your willing to spend on your processor I'll recomend some fast ones for you.

I'm not sure how much a good Processor Would cost. or any processor for that matter. How much are some Good CPU's?

Well the Intel Core 2 Duo's are the fastest you can get right now. The cheapest is the E6300 which is $183, but for $40 you could get E6400 which is a little faster than the 6300.

But you have to make sure you have a motherboard thats compatible with Core 2 Duo processors, but if you are buying the Alienware you won't have any problems with that.

Yeah. I'm actually with the 6400 Right now. that was my original choice, But i was unsure if it was the correct choice.

Back to Graphics cards, The Dual 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7950 GT - SLI Enabled card, is an extra $450 from Alienware. That Is kind of outta my price range for a Graphics card. These are the choices I have.

512 MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7950 GT

512MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7900 GTX [+$250 or $8/mo.]

1024MB NVIDIA® GeForce 7950 GX2 [+$350 or $11/mo.]

Dual 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7950 GT - SLI Enabled [+$450 or $14/mo.]
Alienware Recommends!

Dual 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7900 GTX - SLI Enabled [+$850 or $26/mo.]

I was thinking of buying alienware a few months ago but I personaly would rather save the $3000 I have and only spend like 600 or so on a better self-built computer! But it's really up to you.. if you can build a computer for gaming then go for it!

If you dont know how to build a computer here is a guide to the basics parts you will need for it http://www.build-your-own-computers.com/ which can be bought from www.newegg.com for like $40

Everything listed here is absolutely great hardware, but WAY overkill for both WoW and CS:S! Both games are very "old tech" by the standards of today.

Going dual-core has the disadvantage of capping the FPS.. not as if 68fps is such a bad thing hehe. But from systems I have built with a quarter the horsepower you are setting up here, you can get 100+ fps pretty solid on WoW (single core) and CS:Source.

On the flipside though, if you DO try anything substantial outside the realms (no pun intended) of WoW, such as FEAR or Oblivion... you will be able to ramp the settings to the moon with little slow down.

You should consider building your own system as I wil say ALienware systems are overpriced with low end high end style that have a short life span. Basicly your just paying for that shiney case and the Alienware name on it. Also Alienware'es parent company is dell so yeah its even worse...

A 7950GT is not the absolute requirement for WoW or any other game for that matter. Get a 7900GT instead, since it's cheaper and there's almost no performance difference between it and the 7950GT. Also, it will be able to run Oblivion, BF2 and FEAR all maxed out easily. U can also throw together 2 7900GTs in SLI to get even better performance for demanding games like FEAR.
But what I wanted to ask was if u just want to run the games, why not get a 7600GT instead? It has the perfect balance of performance vs price and throwing 2 of them together in SLI would cost u less that that 7950GT and still deliver great performance.

I'm a little behind as always but if you look at my profile and my computer specs you can see what I have and I play WoW pretty often. Never really have any performance issues other than occasional lag in super crowded areas like Orgrimmar. And then usually just a lil slow when I log in after camping out there. No real issues to complain about and I run a dual core.

Hmmmm.. I never lag in Org and I get like 53ms and 45FPS in major cities

but eh.. You wont need a alienware just to play CS:S and WoW I play a pretty cheap computer with a PCI nVidia 6200 videocard and I get amazing performance at high qaulity and the computer im building at the moment will be completly awesome for under $800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back