Alienware launches redesigned Aurora R16 desktop, starting at $1,750

DragonSlayer101

Staff
What just happened? Alienware has launched the new Aurora R16 gaming desktop with the latest Intel processors and Nvidia graphics cards. The most striking aspect of the new machine is the relatively subdued look compared to its predecessor. The case is noticeably sleeker and smaller, and has a more mainstream desktop look than the R15 that bore the company's signature over-the-top styling.

The redesign allowed Alienware to cut down the overall size of the tower by around 40 percent while still keeping the internal volume at 25.5 liters like its predecessor. The company calls this the 'Legend 3' design language and it should be much less divisive than the traditional Alienware styling. The only notable design flare in the new model is an oval RGB loop that highlights the hexagonal side vents on the left side of the chassis.

The R16 also has more efficient airflow than the outgoing model, thanks to a larger intake vent and bigger top vents. Alienware also says it tweaked the internal cable management for better cooling. Thanks to the focus on thermals, the company was able to lower the CPU and GPU temperatures by 10 percent and 6 percent, respectively. The R16 is also said to be up to 20 percent quieter than the R15, thanks to the redesign.

In terms of tech specs, the Aurora R16 is powered by Intel's 12th- and 13th-gen Core CPUs, going up to the Core i9-13900F. On the GPU side, it offers Nvidia's GeForce RTX 40-series graphics cards, going up to an RTX 4070 Ti. The R16 can also be configured with up to 64GB of dual-channel DDR5 memory and a whopping 8TB of total storage.

The base model, however, only ships with the older Core i9-12900F CPU alongside 16GB of DDR5 RAM, a 1TB SSD, and an RTX 4070. In some Asian and European markets, Dell is also offering a lower-end model with the RTX 3050 and a 512GB SSD option to reduce costs. The PSU on offer could either be a 500W or 1000W unit, and users can choose whether they want air or liquid cooling. Connectivity options include Wi-Fi 6E, an Ethernet port, 4x USB Type-A ports, and 2x USB-C ports.

The Aurora R16 runs Windows 11 and is the first desktop to come with the company's new Alienware Command Center 6 with access to options like game profiles, lighting, macros, and audio settings. It also lets users customize the internal thermal profiles. Pricing starts at $1,749 for the base model, which is keeping in line with the brand's premium positioning.

Permalink to story.

Oh hey, nice optiplex 7010.

you can see from the rear fan that is the same chassis they've been using, just without the gaudy plastic. God that thing is old. Pretty sure it predates the OG alienware systems.

My question is, why not make something new? Something that performs way better? Dell is a big ODM, they can manage it, and since they use non standard components anyway, make a new motherboard design that works far better, ala BTX, at handling heat.

Cheaparses.

Bhaahhahah more like an Inspiron with RGB. The Opiplex line is more stylish than this.

iu

Only 4 usb type-a/normal usb??!

I have:
1 to 2 gamepad(s)
2 external hdds
mouse + kb
phone charging usb cable
dvd-writer

that is 8 usb..

I would not buy a pre-built, but if I did, I would consider this option. I like the look of it, it's not overdone.

Still using my Alienware Area 51 R4 (triad case - got it through the outlet almost 6 years ago so was significantly cheaper than RRP - and also cheaper than a self build at the time giving the price of GPUs - wasn't as bad as the 2020-2022 shortage but 2017 was still bad). All parts apart from the daughter board for controlling the lights are standard PC fare - most are just rebranded MSI parts. I think the R7 was the final variant (pretty similar except for having 10th Gen Skylake-X parts and they removed the slot loading DVD and card reader for an additional two USB A ports on the front). Shame that they shifted to doing proprietary motherboards and PSUs as apart from needing a replacement wifi/bluetooth card the machine has been faultless (I could have had an engineer come out and replace it but just got Dell to send a new wifi card - not exactly difficult to fit as access is extremely easy). Keeping an eye on th price of used 7980XE chips as that would be a nice boost from the 7820X I'm using.

Build your own; or have a friend do it; this is a waste of money
Agreed, especially when the only options are Intel and NVidia.

a whopping 8TB of total storage
:rolleyes: You have to be kidding. 8TB drives are dirt-cheap at around $400 these days. To me, to be "whopping," it would have to be something like 80TB.

Oh hey, nice optiplex 7010.

Except the 7010 (and siblings 9010, etc.) still had regular 24-pin PSUs and Mobo power attachments, so they're actually better than these current ones. Want an actually decent PSU? $50 on sale and you're good. The 7020/9020 started the stupid Dell-proprietary 4-pin Mobo/PSU power connector. At least I can get a $12 adapter on Bezozon to use a normal PSU in a 9020 but that's just extra $ into an old chassis.

Agreed, especially when the only options are Intel and NVidia.

:rolleyes: You have to be kidding. 8TB drives are dirt-cheap at around $400 these days. To me, to be "whopping," it would have to be something like 80TB.
I got a 10TB 7200 RPM FOR $115 new

Now compare that with original
iu

This was cool AF back in the days when all PC cases were beige.

That was before Dell gobbled up Alienware and made it as ugly and generic looking as their own daily junk.

Back