Alienware refreshes gaming laptops with Haswell chip, new look

Jos

Staff

Alienware has delivered a redesigned range of gaming laptops at E3, complete with a new magnesium alloy and aluminum casing instead of the old plastic one, as well as Intel’s next-generation “Haswell” processors. The company also simplified the naming scheme for its laptop lineup by dropping the extra ‘M’s and ‘x’s and instead dubbing the new models Alienware 14, 17, or 18 depending on screen size.

All three are available in a base configuration with different upgrade options and share similar design traits. Among them are angled and rounded edges, color-customizable LED light pipes around the edges and lid, and an illuminated trackpad. Alienware also moved vents all the way to the back so they are as far as possible from gamers’ hands and added color zones to the keyboard -- ten on the larger models and five on the 14-inched.

alienware

One area that didn’t see much improvement was overall thickness. The new Alienware machines are as thick and heavy as ever, but that’s only because they don’t compromise performance and run every component at its full TDP rather than throttling things down, according to Alienware General Manager Frank Azor.

In terms of hardware specs, Alienware 14 comes equipped with an Intel Core i7-4700MQ processor, Nvidia GeForce GT 750M GPU, 8GB of RAM, 750GB of HDD storage, a slot-loading DVD drive, and WLED HD 1366x768 display. That’s the standard $1,199 model but you can fit the machine with up to four drives (HDD or SSD), upgrade to a 1080p screen, double the RAM, and upgrade both graphics and processor.

alienware

Bumping up to the 17-inch model gives you the same processor, memory and storage, but a higher-performance 2GB GTX 765M GPU as well as a 1600x900 display for $1,499. Meanwhile, the base 18-inch model is mostly the same save for dual GTX 765M GPUs and a full 1080p PLS display as standard for $2,099.

All of them support 802.11ac wireless, miniDisplay and have HDMI outputs, but the 17- and 18-inch notebooks also have an HDMI input. There’s also three or four USB 3.0 ports, multi-format memory card reader, a 2-megapixel webcam, Bluetooth 4.0, 2.1-channel Klipsch speakers, and audio in/out ports.

Permalink to story.

How many generations of CPU-s have their products to undergo before they consider slimming down the ridiculous thickness of their products?

They were making the same bricks with 45nm Lynnfield as they are now with 22nm Haswell. Being bought out by DELL doesn't pay to be innovative anymore...

How many generations of CPU-s have their products to undergo before they consider slimming down the ridiculous thickness of their products?
It's a gaming laptop! I'm sure you are aware of the cooling aspects needed for gaming rigs. You can't compact the power needed for a gaming rig, without allowing room for cooling.

It's a gaming laptop! I'm sure you are aware of the cooling aspects needed for gaming rigs. You can't compact the power needed for a gaming rig, without allowing room for cooling.
I am aware of a number of products that use the exact same components and still manage being way slimmer... For example, the new MSI GT70 uses even better graphics, GTX 780M, but it is whole 2 times lighter! But perhaps Toshiba Qosmio X875-Q7390 is even a better example...

Dell pulls out of the consumer PC business just to further drive nails in to Alienwares coffin, oh well, there's better out there for less. No big surprise however when it is still Dell at the helm...

I am aware of a number of products that use the exact same components and still manage being way slimmer... For example, the new MSI GT70 uses even better graphics, GTX 780M, but it is whole 2 times lighter! But perhaps Toshiba Qosmio X875-Q7390 is even a better example...
Yeah, and those laptops throttle their CPU and GPUs a lot more than the above Alienware. You can't deny that it has more cooling potential.

Yeah, and those laptops throttle their CPU and GPUs a lot more than the above Alienware. You can't deny that it has more cooling potential.
dude, the m14x had horrible throttling issues with it's gpu, an issue dell never fixed. now, every laptop will probably throttle at some point, but alienwares are no better than the others. for their large design, their heatsinks suck hard, and do a terrible job. also, id like to point out that msi's ge40, which is the same screen size, has twice the gpu power and a 900p screen standard. jst what is dell thinking? a 768p screen shouldnt even BE an option anymore.

dude, the m14x had horrible throttling issues with it's gpu, an issue dell never fixed. now, every laptop will probably throttle at some point, but alienwares are no better than the others. for their large design, their heatsinks suck hard, and do a terrible job. also, id like to point out that msi's ge40, which is the same screen size, has twice the gpu power and a 900p screen standard. jst what is dell thinking? a 768p screen shouldnt even BE an option anymore.

For a thickness greater than 1.5 inches, I would expect a custom watercooling solution in there LOL xD.

Back