Alienware refreshes gaming laptops with Haswell chip, new look

By Jos
Jun 11, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Alienware has delivered a redesigned range of gaming laptops at E3, complete with a new magnesium alloy and aluminum casing instead of the old plastic one, as well as Intel’s next-generation “Haswell” processors. The company also simplified the naming scheme...

Read more
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,228   +329

How many generations of CPU-s have their products to undergo before they consider slimming down the ridiculous thickness of their products?

They were making the same bricks with 45nm Lynnfield as they are now with 22nm Haswell. Being bought out by DELL doesn't pay to be innovative anymore...
  3. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,114   +732

No 1080P screen. Not even a 760M. Not worth $1200.
    PC nerd and misor like this.
  4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,077   +1,182

It's a gaming laptop! I'm sure you are aware of the cooling aspects needed for gaming rigs. You can't compact the power needed for a gaming rig, without allowing room for cooling.
  5. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,228   +329

I am aware of a number of products that use the exact same components and still manage being way slimmer... For example, the new MSI GT70 uses even better graphics, GTX 780M, but it is whole 2 times lighter! But perhaps Toshiba Qosmio X875-Q7390 is even a better example...
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  6. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 876   +93

Dell pulls out of the consumer PC business just to further drive nails in to Alienwares coffin, oh well, there's better out there for less. No big surprise however when it is still Dell at the helm...
  7. JC713

Half the price of an alien ware is for the Oooo-Aaahhh-colorful-lights-factor lol.
    St1ckM4n likes this.
  8. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,197   +555

Yeah, and those laptops throttle their CPU and GPUs a lot more than the above Alienware. You can't deny that it has more cooling potential.
  9. misor

misor TechSpot Addict Posts: 764   +117

hehehe. I like JC713's sager laptop computer suggestion on another thread.
    (I don't live in the u.s. and I don't know the quality of sager and alien laptops)
    JC713 likes this.
  10. PC nerd

PC nerd TechSpot Booster Posts: 314   +34

$1200 and you only get a 1366x768 screen?

Wtf man?
  11. TheinsanegamerN

TheinsanegamerN Newcomer, in training

dude, the m14x had horrible throttling issues with it's gpu, an issue dell never fixed. now, every laptop will probably throttle at some point, but alienwares are no better than the others. for their large design, their heatsinks suck hard, and do a terrible job. also, id like to point out that msi's ge40, which is the same screen size, has twice the gpu power and a 900p screen standard. jst what is dell thinking? a 768p screen shouldnt even BE an option anymore.
    misor likes this.
  12. JC713

You can get a Lenovo Y510P with an i7, dual 750Ms in SLI, and a 1080P screen on Newegg for about $1200.
    PC nerd, misor and VitalyT like this.
  13. JC713

For a thickness greater than 1.5 inches, I would expect a custom watercooling solution in there LOL xD.

14. PC nerd

PC nerd TechSpot Booster Posts: 314   +34

Only an ***** would choose an Alienware craptop over that Lenovo...

Oh wait, we're talking about Alienware fanboys.
    JC713 likes this.
  15. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,197   +555

Go on youtube and find some home watercooling mods for laptops. :D It exists.
  16. JC713

Da fuq lol. I gotta check that out.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.