Alienware X51 RAM problem

Bob C

Hi Guys
I have a strange issue with my X51. When I bought the computer, it came with 8 gb ram (2 - 4 gb sticks). What is happening now is that they will not work together. Either stick will work fine by itself but together, system will either crash over a short time or won't even boot up. Do I have to purchase new RAM. If I understand this properly there is a slot 1 and a slot 2 for the ram. Is it possible that there is something wrong with slot 2. If yes, what can be done to fix it?

take care
Bob

It's possible for RAM to go bad. I use this:

it lets you create a bootable USB flash drive. I would install just one stick and then run test until it completes 4 passes. If no red areas appear in the pane below and you get a big PASS on the screen. Shut down and change the RAM to the other stick of RAM. Rerun the test. I am thinking one of those sticks is bad.

If one of them turns out to be bad, then you need to replace that stick or perhaps get a whole new matched pair RAM kit

You might want to call Alienware support. I had an Alienware 18 that had a mobo and graphics card issue the first year I sent it back to be fix the thing lasted 10 more years and I just replaced it.

Back