Allocating a set amount of bandwidth to each port on your router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

korrupt

Hi, I have a 512/128 adsl internet connection. I do a lot of online gaming, but every time our other computer is in use (Ie: On the internet) I get huge amounts of lag spikes and my ping is very jumpy (goes from 70-900). Now every now and then my internet gets capped to 64/32 but I still get the same ping and have the same quality of online gameplay. So I was wondering if its possible to allocate a set amount of bandwidth to the other computer (say 64/32 since its only used for internet browsing) which can not be exceeded so that my computer still gets a pretty fast connection. It is quite important for me to get this done asap, so your replies would be hugely appreciated.

Korrupt

You cannot control the LAN ports of home routers idividually (since they are really a switch). At best, you can set up some QoS rules by IP or MAC addresses.

Now every now and then my internet gets capped to 64/32 but I still get the same ping and have the same quality of online gameplay.
This might be a sign that bandwidth isn't your only problem since such a 'slow' connection games just fine.

A common reason for quality loss (dropped packets or high latency) is running p2p filesharing apps like Bittorrent, Limwire, Ares, etc... Not only is bandwidth a concern, but many SOHO routers can handle only a very small amount of traffic before they start losing packets and becoming unreliable.

In addition to QoS, if bandwidth is indeed your issue, there are softwares you can install to limit bandwidth such as 'Net Limiter'. This software would need to be installed on each computer connected to your router to work. Keep in mind that limiting bandwidth won't always help with equipment (router, modem, etc) inadequacies that are exposed by P2P software.

DSL is not like Cable download and upload speeds. Both are different. With cable internet download speeds are higher upload it depends. DSL download can be almost as fast, but upload it weak. Some routers let you set the bandwidth speed if you need such features. Buffalo Routers have this feature, but Net Limiter I've used that in the past, it's better to do it from the Router (hardware) vs (software) slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back