Almost 90 percent of Galaxy Note 7s haven't been exchanged

Scorpus

Staff member

The disastrous story of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 continues, with a report from The Verge confirming that just 130,000 units have been returned to Samsung since the company notified the public of the explosive battery issue.

According to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, around one million Galaxy Note 7s are affected by the official recall that was announced yesterday. If only 130,000 people returned their device during Samsung's voluntary exchange period, this would indicate almost 90 percent of the Galaxy Note 7s in the wild have not been replaced and could still pose a safety threat to their owners.

There are several potential reasons why users are not returning their Note 7s despite the recall. Samsung hasn't provided significant quantities of replacement Note 7s just yet, so some users are being offered different (and much worse) devices that they don't want. The information Samsung has published about the recall has often been confusing and lacking in detail as well, which makes it difficult to know the exact exchange process.

However, Samsung has improved their information about the recall over the past week. The company now has a date after which replacement devices will be available at retail stores (September 21st), and various notices will be published through Samsung's marketing channels to encourage users to swap their hazardous smartphones.

There have been a few reports suggesting Samsung will make it easy to identify which phones contain safe batteries through different packaging and changes to the software, however owners will still have issues convincing some companies – airlines in particular – that their replaced variant won't explode.

Permalink to story.

It's because no one wants to exchange their device for a lesser phone, they want a new note7 and I just received the email today confirming my carrier will have phones no later than September 21.

I think the whole thing is blow way out of proportion, my device has yet to get hot while charging.

"Dear Chad, as part of our voluntary recall, Samsung is announcing that new Galaxy Note7 replacement devices will be available in the United States at most retail locations no later than September 21, 2016.

Through the U.S. Note7 Exchange Program, you can:
1. Exchange your current Galaxy Note7 device with a new Galaxy Note7 as approved by the CPSC; or
2. Exchange your current Galaxy Note7 for a Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 edge and replacement of any Note7 specific accessories with a refund of the price difference between devices; or
3. Contact your point of purchase to obtain a refund. "

I am one of the 90 percents, I see no freaking reason to return my phone and get a crappy one as a loner I need my note for work, I have had no issues, I will trade in once the new ones are here on the 21st. The reason most of us are keeping them is due to the fact SAMSUNG is not only ignoring this but there trying to brush it off like nothing happened and something did happen you greedy ****s. I took mine on a plane and no one even asked me to turn it off?

I am one of the 90 percents, I see no freaking reason to return my phone and get a crappy one as a loner I need my note for work, I have had no issues, I will trade in once the new ones are here on the 21st. The reason most of us are keeping them is due to the fact SAMSUNG is not only ignoring this but there trying to brush it off like nothing happened and something did happen you greedy ****s. I took mine on a plane and no one even asked me to turn it off?

Let me rephase this,

I made it through TSA with my note 7.. they asked what kind of phone is what I stated a note 7 nothing happened boarded the plane with my note 7 and listen to music and played games on it for about a 4 hour flight

You do realize that Samsung was the first to issue a recall and before anyone knew there was an issue?

The note 7 is an absolute beast of a phone. For the people who don't have if had one you would understand why nobody wants to trade it in. It's also like 0.2% chance of it happening to you. Replacements are here sep 21

your profanity in all your posts just reflects what your are. I feel sad you can't rely to other phones. There must be very special in note 7 that a Note 5 can't. Oh wait, submerging in water when you get fried in flames?

I too am one of the 90%+ that have a perfectly working Note 7. My Note 4 got hotter when charging and playing Clash for hours than the 7.

You do realize that Samsung was the first to issue a recall and before anyone knew there was an issue?

except for the person who first reported the phone bursting into flame haha. I get where youre going though. apple still believes their issues were user related.

Over 90 last count. And lighting on fire is an actual issue, not a "issue" as you put it.
My point, which you clearly missed, is that over a million were sold... And 90 are faulty.... Do the math.... Your odds are pretty good that your Note 7 will be perfectly fine.... 90 out of a million.... Decent odds :)

Why does Samsung keep having issues with their mobile devices?

You'd think they would've learned the first time..

Back