Alternative to Total Commander

I not so long ago came across a cross platform file manager inspired by Total Commander. One that I could use if I was ever using a Linux distro. I don't have a use for it in Windows since I have a Total Commander licensed. Who knows Double Commander may work for your needs.

TechSpot doesn't seem to have a download page. I've searched their facility as well as using Bing and Google to try and find it. They might would add Double Commander to their downloads if asked to.

Home Page: http://doublecmd.sourceforge.net/
Double Commander is a cross platform open source file manager with two panels side by side. It is inspired by Total Commander and features some new ideas.

Here are some key features of Double Commander:
  • Unicode support
  • All operations working in background
  • Multi-rename tool
  • Tabbed interface
  • Custom columns
  • Internal text editor (F4) with syntax hightlighting
  • Built in file viewer (F3) to view files of in hex, binary or text format
  • Archives are handled like subdirectories. You can easily copy files to and from archives. Supported archive types: ZIP, TAR GZ, TGZ, LZMA and also BZ2, RPM, CPIO, DEB, RAR.
  • Extended search function with full text search in any files
  • Configurable button bar to start external programs or internal menu commands
  • Total Commander WCX, WDX and WLX plug-ins support
  • File operations logging
  • And more...
300_2.png

I installed a program ages ago called Q-Dir which is freeware but haven't used it since. I think that it is a little better than Free Commander. It'll show four drives.

Back