Am I Screwed? (Virus+other issues because I'm an *****)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, about 2 days ago, I got a new virus on my desktop (Am now posting from my laptop). It wasn't much of a virus, except that it would randomly pop up additional tabs on Firefox asking me to complete surveys. Unfortunately, it was clear that it was able to log anything I typed, so I am now in the process of changing my passwords through my laptop (which is, thankfully, uninfected)

Anyway, I ran Super Antispyware, it "removed" the virus, which came back, asking me to complete surveys once more. I installed MalwareBytes at the recommendation of a computer geek friend. It claimed to have "removed" the virus too, after which I did a COMPLETE scan of the computer and found no infection. However, it came back 3-4 hours later (I have literally been up for nearly 36 hours, and have spent at least 8 combatting this stupid virus) I did another complete MB scan, it found the virus again, but it keeps coming back. Now, I know what you're all thinking "Oh, hey, start it up in safe mode and run the virus scan".... I can't. The virus has disabled my access to Safe Mode startups. The system reboots itself on attempting to load whatever it's loading after Mup.sys. I have tried multiple registry fixes, which have, thank God, not ruined my computer, and none of them have been able to enable my safe mode. Blech. I tried and tried.

Anyway, here's the REAL kicker. When I first starting trying to reenable safe mode, many sites/forums recommended a /SAFEBOOT startup through msconfig. This seemed plausible, but I didn't do it because, I mean, I thought it would just do the same thing as the normal Safe Mode boot up. I was wrong. It was much worse. /SAFEBOOT has sent my desktop into an endless cycle of reboots. No matter what option I choose, the desktop merely reboots. As of right now, I do not have my Windows XP CD, or a recovery CD.

So that leads me to my subject line.

Am I screwed? Will I have to reinstall my windows copy? (frankly, isn't too big of a deal, it's just a hassle, ya know.)

Addendum: I know this isn't really a virus related question, but it INVOLVED a virus, which is why I posted here.

Glad to hear you fixed your problem (even tho it meant reformatting)...

But, also, thanks for the chuckle in reading the title you chose for your post! :haha:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back