Amazon overhauls Kindle, adds $139 Wi-Fi model

By Matthew
Jul 29, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Facing increased competition, Amazon has revamped its Kindle e-reader, making improvements all around and adding a cheaper Wi-Fi-only model. The new device is 21% smaller with the same 6-inch reading area, 15% lighter (8.7 ounces), 20% faster at page turns (with quieter page turn buttons), and supposedly offers 50% better contrast than any other e-reader. Additionally, it can last for up to a month on a single charge with wireless disabled – twice as long as before – and up to 10 days with wireless on. Internal storage has been doubled to 4GB, which equates to around 3,500 books.

Read the whole story
  2. Wow. I think Amazon really outdid themselves with this one. This is the deal I have been waiting for. I will get it when it launches, it's time for some good reading . :p
  3. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,580   +76

Seems like a good price!
  4. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,043   +84 Staff Member

Haha, no kidding. I much prefer the experience of reading an actual book than something on a screen, but even I'm tempted by the new Wi-Fi-only model.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.