Amazon raises free shipping minimum order amount to $35

Shawn Knight

Staff member

amazon prime free shipping

Amazon for the first time in more than a decade has raised the minimum order amount necessary to quality for free Super Saver shipping. Previously, customers had to spend just $25 to get free shipping but moving forward, customers will need to buy at least $35 worth of merchandise to quality for free shipping.

It’s unclear exactly why Amazon made the changes although increased shipping costs and an opportunity to promote its Prime service as a more attractive option are two likely reasons.

The online retailer is quick to remind shoppers of their Amazon Prime membership. For $79 per year, subscribers have access to free two-day shipping on more than 15 million Prime-eligible items with no minimum order size. What’s more, Prime members have access to Prime Instant Video which contains over 41,000 movies and television episodes and 350,000 books to borrow through the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library.

The company has been offering a 30-day free trial of Prime for some time now so if you haven’t tried it, you can do so free of charge for a month to see if you like it.

One word of warning, however. Amazon recently changed the price of one-day shipping and Saturday delivery for Prime members. Overnight shipping used to cost $3.99 per item but pricing now varies based on the item’s size and weight with rates starting at $2.99 per item. Saturday delivery now starts at $7.99 per item, we’re told.

Permalink to story.

I was about to cancel the prime membership to me it's not 100% more like 80%. A lot of mistakes on their end. Sometimes I do get next day air for free when the item is not local to my side USA. Other than that Weekend prices have gone up too high at $8.99 where it use to be $3.99 but per item. That can add-up fast. Even with prime if the item is new or called add-on item it still requires you to make at least $25 purchase even though with prime membership it tells me I'll get in 2 days.

But still you can't just buy the one product. Prior too this you could. So there is a catch-22 there with how prime works on some of their items that ships from Amazon. So go another year with $80 or put that in my pocket and have fun with it. Now that all min free shipping will be $35 total orders only with 3 to 5 day wait after you place the order. When your on prime and push order like everyone at the Amazon Warehouse Hub in KY starts to wake-up and move into action.

Email start flying items being processing for shipping (can't cancel at this point) no turning back. The you get another email saying items have been shipped! Next the wait is on who will be the deliver? USPS, UPS, FedEx Express, FedEx Ground or Laser (aka Amazon) I wish they had option for me to pick the best one. Out of the bunch I would select FedEx then Laser and then UPS.

I think the largest purchase I've done when I had ordered KING-SIZE Foam Mattress along with Twin-Size Foam Mattress along with metal frame plus 7 person dinning room table and KING-SIZE Platform Bed. Amazon used UPS and FedEx Ground. The men that had delivered everything handled things a bit odd.

UPS had drop off the the Platform Bed then rang the bell and took off. I was left with huge very long boxes to deal with. Where as FedEx with the KING-SIZE Foam Mattress he had help bring into the house and the 7 person dinning room table too when that finally had arrived. But the boxes that came were really beaten-up though. Yes they're heavy but why so damage. Items in the boxes were fine.

But the boxes that came were really beaten-up though

There's no small number of people that work in shipping facilities who could care less about how your package is handled. I've received items in boxes so damaged I could have sworn they (the boxes) were run over by the delivery truck. I've received at least 2 of these from each of the major shippers (FedEx, UPS, USPS). On the other hand, it is sometimes a testament to the resiliency of some products, as was the case with one package that was so badly damaged they had barely managed to tape it back together.

Yes I've seen the tape too. I had ordered a fruit puller with 12 foot rod. Then had sent in a loose fitting box and had stuffed it was brown paper. No damage to the one item inside but still UPS had brought to the house I was outside and grab the box.

Some boxes come un-damage like new. Amazon told me they want to know how was the packing and box condition. Oh yeah I did order Cordless Lawn Mower. That box was in perfect condition. A special UPS driver came here to give me First Class delivery on it.

Prime works on some orders only. Sounds like bankers rules. Really appreciate Frys and Micro Center in my neighborhood. Buy a $3 keyboard (best I ever had) and pay only $3 plus tax. Puritans pride can ship $5 orders with no shipping charge, why can't they? Believe it or not, gas costs less in our low milage gm car. Frys 8 miles round trip, certainly at most $2 in gas. Operating at a loss, I guess. Also, do they aim to put all the big box stores out of business and then go out of business themselves? Bezos name should be bozo. Then he buys a losing proposition he must have to pay for, a newspaper.

The thing that hurt me, was when they summarily raised the shipping price on CDs & books in the Amazon Marketplace.

It went from $2.99 to $3.99 per item. So that would be $7.98 for two CDs, as you can't combine the shipping, even from the same vendor. Since it didn't cost $2.99 to mail a CD anywhere in the country, part of the profit for the sale, lies in the postage.

I suppose the great prices you can still get from "ImportCDs" and others softens the blow a bit, but still.....

UPS, the US Post Office, and others are raising their rates, so it comes as no surprise those costs get passed along.

With respect to UPS' current rates, many shippers, including Amazon and Newegg are utilizing "LaserShip", a consignment owner/operator shipping solution, for orders that, in the past, would have been delivered by the logistically superior, (IMHO, of course), long time first choice, UPS.

Back