Amazon releases Kindle Fire 6.2.1 update, improves performance

By Rick
Dec 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Yesterday, Amazon released version 6.2.1 of its Kindle Software. The primary goal of this update appears to be improving UI performance, a notable complaint against the Kindle Fire since its…

Read the whole story
  2. Xero07

Xero07 Newcomer, in training Posts: 93

Looks like a decent update. still tempted to get one.
  3. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,510   +308

Just got the update over the air. The device is reasonably faster, which was by far my #1 complaint because otherwise the Kindle Fire was VERY choppy to interact with and use. It's not got to the point where I hoped it would be, but it's a large improvement ~50%.
  4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Sounds far from perfect still, but I'd say an anecdotal "~50%" improvement is definitely a good thing.

I don't have one, but I've demoed it a couple of times, actually. I was not impressed with the speed. It felt far less snappy than tablets with similar specs, so I assume the sluggishness is mostly software and not hardware. Hopefully that leaves room for further performance improvements.
  5. Justgivemeaname

Justgivemeaname Newcomer, in training Posts: 37

Does anyone know if the kindle fire has expandable memory? I can't find a yes or no answer to that question anywhere. It seems like a good buy but with only 6 GB of user space it seems kind of small for something that can play movies.
  6. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,035   +70

@Julio
    With 50% improvement (I'm literally taking your words here !!), I think it is not a bad option for many users at all. In fact, I may decide to get it sometime soon as well ;)
  7. A 50% improvement and yet it is still laggy? It must have been bloody awful before the update.
  8. Kindle does not support expandable memory but u don't need it since u can stream your personal collection of movies, music, etc from your PC to the kindle using plex server/client which works great for me.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.