TechSpot

Amazon slashes Fire Phone price to 99 cents on contract

By Shawn Knight
Sep 8, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Amazon on Monday dropped the price of its recently released Fire Phone down to just $0.99. It's a familiar narrative that likely indicates what we've been hearing all along - Amazon has had a hard time selling their inaugural handset.

Read more

2. thegroveman

thegroveman TS Rookie

They could mail free Fire Phones to Prime members and it would still flop.

Phraun and Movatheaiur like this.
  3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

It just needs the right case...
    [​IMG]

4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,491   +2,043

From some of the reviews I've read, $0.99 should be the cash price without any contract.

5. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,455   +606

Amazon is the new 'I can sell anything because our brand is on it' company'.

6. It's a sign of Failure.....

7. I would not even take it if it were free. You have to tie a credit card to it to activate it, same with the Nook.
    At least with a straight Android, you do not have to keep a credit card tied to it all the time. You can key in the information when you want to buy something one time, or remove it at a later date.

8. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

Amazon's team behind Fire caught on video...

9. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 1,038   +269

Sounds like normal Amazon policy. When I order from them, I always delete my personal info and my CC number. With no way to use a CC without Amazon saving the number on their site, I've complained and said that I do not want them to automatically save my CC. All I get back from Amazon customer service is "we keep your data safe." Uh huh.

Given that you can delete your CC from their systems, I wonder if once activated one could remove the CC and still have the phone work. Personally, I have no interest in the device, but I do think that Amazon needs to stop trying to get people addicted to Amazon.