Amazon swoops in and buys Twitch out from under Google

By Shawn Knight
Aug 25, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Amazon has reached an agreement to acquire Twitch. The news is particularly newsworthy due to the fact that we've been hearing similar acquisition rumors tied to Google in recent months.

Read more
  2. TechGamer

TechGamer TS Addict Posts: 365   +38

You must have an Amazon Account to type in chat.....
    Stream going on *pauses*buy this buy that amazon sale today*buy a kindle*get twitch fast and easy only on kindle fire pro.
  3. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,295   +663

R.I.P. free, unhindered game streaming. Well, at least until things get so bad all the big-name vidcasters leave for a new home. I give it six months tops.
  4. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

Its better then google turning twitch into another youtube, you know completely broken & implementing their own failure stuff, requiring you to have a crappy google+ account to do anything...

Amazon has a good chance of making twitch bigger, plus with amazon you got amazon prime aka the new twitch subscription! Plus with amazon they get to invent more & do more & ultimately grow bigger miles bigger then with google.
    TechGamer and Chazz like this.
  5. Chazz

Chazz TS Evangelist Posts: 668   +72

This is much better than having two of the most popular streaming options owned by one company.
  6. In other news; Google to bring its own live streaming platform, YouTube Live, to all places where you can currently find Twitch to "swoop" their business right out from under them.
  7. robb213

robb213 TS Addict Posts: 309   +92

I am still unsure whether or not I should feel relieved that Twitch won't turn into another copyright playground debacle. I mean, Amazon and their prime streaming havn't been exactly what I'd consider...ideal either--probably still better than what Google did to YouTube though...
  8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,937

Cheer up, it could've been a lot worse, Facebook coulda bought them
    Misagt and wastedkill like this.
  9. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

Seriously I can't see how fb has "unlimited resources" for companies like twitch or oculus, they don't have anywhere near the profit as Google, amazon!!!
  10. robb213

robb213 TS Addict Posts: 309   +92

That's the thing--they could've too have been better or worse, but we won't know until we get farther down the road. The suspense is killing me.
  11. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

I am pretty relieved. Google would have ruined the service IMO.