TechSpot

Amazon unveils long-rumored Fire Phone featuring a 3D 'dynamic perspective'

By Jos
Jun 18, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Amazon has finally taken the wraps off its much rumored, often leaked smartphone. Dubbed Fire Phone, the device features a 4.7-inch display, a quad-core 2.2GHz processor, Adreno 330 graphics and 2GB of RAM. That's right in line with what we've...

Read more

2. Xero07

Xero07 TS Rookie Posts: 93

Too bad its exclusive to AT&T, I'd consider getting it if it was on verizon.

3. Good camera? Check
    Good Screen? Check
    Good Materials? Check
    Just another phone? Check

Wendig0 likes this.
  4. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Enthusiast Posts: 511   +84

Oh, come on. I would love to have this phone on VZW service.

5. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,349   +398

Agreed. Wonder what's up with the AT&T only? Go through all the effort to come out with a brand new phone and limit it to one carrier? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

6. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,286   +232

Ooooh... Ahhhh... AT&T only? Ah well, sounded fun up until there.

As for why AT&T? Worked for Apple with the iPhone exclusivity, I guess Amazon figured it can't hurt. But it will hurt, quite a lot. Apple at least had a very loyal fan base who would jump at a chance to get the iPhone, even making a deal with the devil (AT&T) to get it. Amazon doesn't have that kind of rabid brand loyalty to ensure sales in the same situation.

7. mctommy

mctommy TS Enthusiast Posts: 117   +13

No, the reason why Apple was successful was because of its fan base, it was because when the original iPhone came out, that was the only of its kind. People who wanted a touchscreen smartphone were forced to switch to AT&T or wait until the first Android Phones came out.

The reason why this will fail for Amazon is that the smartphone market right now is too saturated with smartphones. It's going to be much harder to convince someone to switch to a particular carrier because of a phone... let alone a phone that cost the same as the other top of the line phones.

Amazon is selling this phone with no contract for $649 for the 32gb and the following bands:
    "UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz), Quad-band GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), 9 bands of LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 17, 20), supports carrier aggregation"

8. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,982   +909

The original iPhone was AT&T only also. Amazon will probably notice the potential and go cross carrier.

9. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,076   +76

Meh... I just got a custom 32gb Moto X through republic wireless for $299 without a contract, and only $45/month for unlimited everything and 4G. Amazon's phone has a lot of cool gimmicks, but I wouldn't trade the level of service I'm getting with Republic Wireless for AT&T if you paid me.

10. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,088   +747

It's got decent specs and screen but only time will tell if the gimmicks prove worthwhile. Buying into the Amazon eco system? Why? This George Pesos talks up a storm but it's just a sales pitch and I'm not convinced.
    Anyway Amazon phones won't becoming to my market anytime soon so it's all irrelevant to me.

11. Dukenukemx

Dukenukemx TS Rookie Posts: 66   +14

No SD card? Check

Phone belongs in the trash.

12. rub900

rub900 TS Member Posts: 76   +6

Nexus 5 350.00. Why do I need a contract?

13. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,017   +153

I previously 'thought/imagined' that fire smartphone is the phone using firefox OS.

I'm glad though that I'm not part of amazon's research division as I would have recommended the names AMAPHONE, AMAZING PHONE, or aPhone.

14. Puiu

Puiu TS Addict Posts: 1,066   +99

Too expensive. not interested.

15. Runt1me

Runt1me TS Rookie

Too bad this '3D smartphone' doesn't actually have a 3D display.

It seems to me that's what they were aiming for originally but just couldn't pull it off, so just put it out there to sit on the patents.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.