AMD 4200+ X2 Configuration

By JimShady23
Jul 12, 2006
  1. Just installed a brand spankin new 4200+ i have heard there is a particular setting you need to enble or tinker with in XP to optimize the second core ? If anyone can enlighten me that be great...Thanks guys
  2. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 TS Rookie Posts: 766

Windows currently does not utilse 2 cores. There is really nothing you the momment.
  3. CrossFire851

I read somewhere that it can take an advantage of muilt procs, but only 5% of windows can.
  4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

That is false, Windows is capable of using both cores & dispatch the working processes between both cores. If you encode a movie while playing a game for example, the encoder will use one core while the game uses the other.

AMD has released a dual-core utility or "optimizer" that fixes a few issues with such configurations on Windows. You might want to install that.

ps. if in the performance tab of the task manager you see two CPU graphs, Windows has detected both cores & is using them.
  5. CrossFire851

I will see if I can find my link. But, it was the same thing I was thinking.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.