AMD 64 4000+ or X2 4400 - which would be better for a gaming machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point I don't think it really matters since there isn't any games out there that are programmed to take advantage of a dual core set up. That is supposed to be changing but who knows when that will happen. By that time AMD will most like be on its new socket the M2 and either one of thise chips will be out dated

No it does not. You will not be able to use 939 chips on a M2 socket.

Mattw, right now you might as well go with a 4000+ as it will have better gaming performance (thanks to the extra 200MHz). By the time gaming is dual-core ready (which can take a while), prices will have gone down on dual-core parts & you'll be able to get one for much cheaper then now.

I would take the X2. I've got mine running at 2700MHz which is upwards of FX60 speeds, plus you still have the DC.

Then why does Maximum PC say that the 939 will fit into the M2? Or as they put it, AMD's next gen motherboards. Perhaps I have misunderstood what the article was saying.

*Edit*
You actually may be correct about this. I am re reading the Maximum PC article and I think I mis read it the first time through. Their new chips code name is Windsor.

Q3'05 AMD Roadmap; DDR2 and New Sockets for AMD
M2 will have 940 pins, and while the actual layout of motherboards with the new socket will be very similar to socket 939, processors will obviously not be pin compatible. The same goes for current socket 940 processors: they won't work or fit in socket M2. That makes sense, considering that M2 will require the use of DDR2 memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back