TechSpot

AMD 64 4000+ or X2 4400 - which would be better for a gaming machine?

By mattw
Feb 2, 2006
  1. would a single core cpu be better than a dual core cpu for gaming?

thanks a lot

2. Jimbo420

Jimbo420 TS Rookie Posts: 484

At this point I don't think it really matters since there isn't any games out there that are programmed to take advantage of a dual core set up. That is supposed to be changing but who knows when that will happen. By that time AMD will most like be on its new socket the M2 and either one of thise chips will be out dated

3. s3xynanigoat

s3xynanigoat TS Rookie Posts: 141

939 fits into M2.

4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

No it does not. You will not be able to use 939 chips on a M2 socket.

Mattw, right now you might as well go with a 4000+ as it will have better gaming performance (thanks to the extra 200MHz). By the time gaming is dual-core ready (which can take a while), prices will have gone down on dual-core parts & you'll be able to get one for much cheaper then now.

5. YellowC4S

YellowC4S TS Rookie Posts: 125

I would take the X2. I've got mine running at 2700MHz which is upwards of FX60 speeds, plus you still have the DC.

6. s3xynanigoat

s3xynanigoat TS Rookie Posts: 141

Then why does Maximum PC say that the 939 will fit into the M2? Or as they put it, AMD's next gen motherboards. Perhaps I have misunderstood what the article was saying.

*Edit*
    You actually may be correct about this. I am re reading the Maximum PC article and I think I mis read it the first time through. Their new chips code name is Windsor.

7. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Q3'05 AMD Roadmap; DDR2 and New Sockets for AMD

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.