AMD 64-bit logos & more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
The day has come and AMD has officially announced the Athlon 64 family, as expected.[center]
athlon64_logo_180x196.gif
[/center]Other than the logos, a few FAQs have popped up but still no performance figures which probably won't see the light until next month. Also, although I have seen a few 'FX' pics around, still no word about it on AMD's website, perhaps we will have to wait a few more hours.

What are the differences between the AMD Athlon 64 and AMD Opteron processors?

The upcoming AMD Opteron and AMD Athlon 64 processors are designed for different markets. For the server/workstation market, the AMD Opteron processor will undergo more stringent validation and reliability testing. Another difference will be in the number of HyperTransport links embedded on the chip. The AMD Athlon 64 processor will contain one HyperTransport link offering 6.4 GB/s data transfer while the AMD Opteron processor will offer three links. The processors will also contain different amounts of cache.

Wait, doesn't that mean the Opteron is going to have better performance compared to the Athlon 64?

I thought it was the other way around...

No; the Opteron is the Server part.

The Athlon64 is just the cut down desktop version of the Opteron, i.e. a cheaper variant of it...

opteron

needs buffered ecc ram........they have a uniprocessor in the 100/ uni or dual in the 200/ and, i believe 8 way capability in the 900..regardless, this variant of the hammer will possibly not require buffered ram nor multi processors, for specific uniprocessor boards.....their abilties, as a gaming system, will be formidable......i'm looking to procure one, as soon as it becomes a little more mainstream........even the integrated graphics aspect of these boards are going to be a geforce fx 5600 equivilant.....not bad, not bad at all, for a throw in :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back