AMD 9590 CPU
GTX-680 Asus Dual Sli Video Card
Noctua D-15 Fan
Gskill 128gb SSD Sata II
WD 1 TB Drive Sata II
Sound Blaster Fatality

Just upgraded the Ram and CPU and FAN
Problems
1. When I boot the computer it turns on for a second or two then resets and boots a second time. The second time everything goes smoothly. It doesn't seem to be getting past the Bios so I don't believe it's a Win 7 problem.
Interestingly enough if I put the computer to sleep from Windows it doesn't have a problem waking up.

2. Not overclocked. Just running factory settings/ When I'm not doing hardly anything. Just browsing the internet. The computer freezes. No BSOD or Black screen. Just a freeze with the monitor on

3. When I stress test using Prime. If I run more then 4 Threads of prime, the CPU throttles itself in half and shows 2,250MHZ, Using 5 Cores it's borderline switching back and forth. Then 6-8 Threads of prime immediate throttle.

For the moment I've turned the clock down and am running at 4.4ghz. Don't know yet whether this temporarily solves the Freezing Problem.

The Gigabyte MB utility shows my temps at 51'C but I know that doesn't mean anything. The forums are saying that the MB's and AMD 9500 series don't play well in terms of heat reporting..

I ran memtest on the memory at standard of 1866, not the 2166 that XMP Profile Gave me. Ram is rated for 2400 GHZ. 5 hours of Memtest and no problem.

I turned off Turbo mode at the 4.7 and that didn't help problem.

So what do you all think. I should do now.?
I suspect I may have a Power Supply or Heat Issue.

I tweaked some settings and it's running rock solid stable at 4.6.

It's still doing the double boot at startup.
Do you think this will do harm to my components. I can live with it but wouldn't want to damage my system.

By double boot, do you mean the computer starts up and stops briefly, then continues to boot normally?

What happens is that:
It starts up, then stops, like no voltage and everything seems turned off, then fires up and continues to boot normally.

This condition usually means that a bios setting is a bit off. Something that has to do with the CPU voltage/timing or memory voltage/timings

Well it's strange but the problems have went away.
Now when I turn the computer on. I think it's reacting normally? It takes a second, as if it's figuring out the settings. Then it fires up.

Prime on 8 cores and Occt on 8 are running at 4,700mhz + no longer cycling down.

I am unable to overclock it at all. If I just move the multipier up .5 it won't boot into windows.

Unless I can find someone who has my Exact board and can send me the settings for an overclock, I'm just going to have to be happy with 4.7ghz.

Problems came back. OCCT with 4 cores running Large strings would freeze my machine within 3 minutes. Interestingly enough using all cores no freeze and the small strings no problem.

I tried an experiment. I downclocked it to 4.5ghz. I disabled all power saving and turbo features. It's now running rock solid stable. Tonight I'll push it and turn it up to 4.7ghz.

I think that my Gigabyte Motherboard just can't handle the switching of the voltages required to use turbo and that's why I've had the problems. It'll be interesting to see if I get a stable 4.7.

Interestingly enough, my score in furmark went from around 3500 to 3700 with the downclock. I think my CPU was throttling a lot and causing me to lose frames.

Well I figured out that my 4 year old power supply just wasn't up to the task. So I decided that if I"m going to change the PS I might as well change the case. And then I'm so curious about Intel vs Amd that I decided to sidewise grade to a Intel 4820 and bought a EVGA Supernova 1000 Watt PS
I made sure to benchmark the system before the sideways grade and it's going to be interesting to see the results.

Back