AMD A10-6800K with what motherboard for integrated video?

ElShotte

Hey guys, building a new PC, and I decided not to go too cheap with core components and leave the video card until later, while still getting everything in one go. Now this being the case, I will need to run non-dedicated graphics for a while (which are decent nowadays). Anyway, I want to go with the Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Motherboard and an AMD A10-6800K Richland CPU,

Will the video outputs on the motherboard work with the APU and will I be able to use integrated video until I get a dedicated video card?

The Newegg page for the motherboard says "Integrated Video: None", so I am a little bit confused, is there no integrated video chipset because that's what the CPU is now being an APU?

I just built a home office build system for my parents using that exact board with an A4-6300 Richland in a Cooler Master HAF 912 (I really like this case for microATX boards). The board was great to work with and since the APU is on the chip itself my folks didn't need to purchase a video card.

So to answer your question: Yes you'll get your video. :)

* I would seriously consider getting an aftermarket cooler to replace the heatsink that comes with it.

Thank you Route44. I've been thinking about getting an aftermarket cooler. I will need something with a bigger/better heatsink because I am throwing it into the Fractal Design Define Mini, which is a silent case so yeah, I am going to have to do something about the stock cooling.

What CPU cooler do you recommend?

Hmmm, good question. Because aftermarket coolers need headroom space to fit and since I have never worked with your choice of cases I unfortunately cannot answer your question personally.

However under the customer's question and answer section of the case this one will work for both case and your choice of cpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...r_Master_Hyper_212_EVO-_-35-103-099-_-Product

* It is a very popular choice and for $35 it is a steal.

* BTW, Youtube has some good videos on how to install it.

Be sure to get fast RAM since the APUs iGPU can really take advantage of it. Best of luck.

Agreed. 8 gigs of DDR3 2133 or 1866 should do just fine. Make sure the RAM is 1.5v because if I am not mistaking that is what that motherboard is designed for.

Last edited:
Hey guys, building a new PC, and I decided not to go too cheap with core components and leave the video card until later, while still getting everything in one go. Now this being the case, I will need to run non-dedicated graphics for a while (which are decent nowadays). Anyway, I want to go with the Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Motherboard and an AMD A10-6800K Richland CPU,

Will the video outputs on the motherboard work with the APU and will I be able to use integrated video until I get a dedicated video card?

The Newegg page for the motherboard says "Integrated Video: None", so I am a little bit confused, is there no integrated video chipset because that's what the CPU is now being an APU?
Ports are the important parts for the board on the APU area of the market. The boards will generally support the on board video because that is primarily the point of the platform.

If you want some suggestions ill show you a couple I have seen and 2 I have built machines with (1 had an A10 6800K in it).

MSI A88X-G43 Good value to money and supports good video output choices.
Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM Not a bad board if you want a Micro-ATX board and has great outputs, this board has an A10 6800K in it and it works pretty nicely.

Personally it depends on what you want and what you want to spend. There are some boards that have 2 Full PCIE 3.0 lanes for Dual video cards or things like that so it depends on what you want to have in the end.

Agreed. 8 gigs of DDR3 2133 or 1866 should do just fine. Make sure the RAM is 1.5v because if I am not mistaking that is what that motherboard is designed for.

Okay, since now we're all on the same page, here is the full parts list on Newegg.

Now, I didn't think it mattered if you got higher voltage RAM, since you can usually adjust the voltage manually, and the RAM might run slower at 1.5V or something until you tell the motherboard to give it 1.6V. If it was vice versa, where the RAM was 1.5V and motherboard put out 1.6V, that might be a problem. Again, that's my logic, is it right?

Route44 man I hate the color of that Noctua fan, it's ugly man, won't match the black and white motif.

LOL! Yeah the color struck me as ugly but I'm the practical kind. Anyway, a large majority of my post count is due to when I read minidump files in the BSOD forum. I lost count of how often when memory is not set to the correct voltage many systems would have all kinds of issues.

I went back to the Gigabyte webpage for the specs again and they state the board is designed for 1.5v memory. You probably could set the memory in the BIOS to 1.6v but that is only a guess and nothing more. They do have a memory support list that you might want to check out.

* Here is Mushkin in 1.5v :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226572

* Honestly, unless you are overclocking I very much doubt you'll notice any difference between the .1 in voltage difference.

Last edited:
Here's an update. I ended up getting this:

MSI A88X-G45 Gaming Motherboard
Future proofed myself with this board, since it's FM2/FM2+, plus it has 2 PCI Express 3.0 slots for SLI/Crossfire so at some point I have an option of getting dual video cards and it's ATX form factor.
AMD A-10 6800K Richland APU
After seeing many benchmarks done on the IGP using old Richland A-10's APU and the new A-10 Kaveri 7850K APU, I decided to go with Richland because it was somewhat cheaper plus the IGP performance was identical. AMD announced a new line of CPU's which are supposed to be what Bulldozer wasn't, and I hope is going to use the FM2+ socket, at this point I will have a dedicated graphics card and I'll upgrade to this new CPU.
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133Mhz
Fast, cheap, and the motherboard is 1.6V on RAM as well.
Mushkin Enhanced MKNSSDCR120GB-7 2.5" 120GB SATA III SSD
Should've gotten the 240 Gb version, kicking myself for this, regardless, fast and cheap SSD.
Fractal Design FD-CA-CORE-3500-BL-W Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
Awesome case, good cable management, nice finish both inside and outside. Really smart design ideas, such as 2 slots for 2.5" SSDs behind the motherboard tray, plus the 3.5" bays support 2.5" drives too. The window is cut out only to show the motherboard, not the drives, can support giant CPU coolers and even bigger video card (albeit only one), second one is standard size (4 drive bays in front).
Corsair CX600M 600 Watt PSU 80+ Bronze Certified
Another thing I should've thought through better. Anyway, I picked this PSU before I decided on a motherboard with support for 2 video cards. If I ever get SLI, I will have to upgrade this as well since very few cards will run on Crossfire/SLI on a 600W PSU.

I am still waiting on the case, but other than that I put everything together already and installed Windows 8.1. With MSI Windows 8 Fast Boot enabled, my monitor takes longer to come out of standby than the system takes to turn on. By the time the monitor goes on, it's displaying the Logon screen (which is sick). Also, I am using an old 1280x1024 LCD, and I have played the following games on it so far:

Dirt 3 - 39 FPS average in Benchmark
Playing with High/Ultra settings, 2x AA, 1280x1024

Battlefield 3 - 33 - 45 FPS in MP
High Preset, 1280x1024, 2x AA

ArmA 3 - 31 - 48 FPS
Normal Preset, 1280x1024, No AA

F.E.A.R. Online - 40+ FPS
Max Settings, 1280x1024, No AA

Watch Dogs - 28 - 37 FPS
Low/Normal Settings with Textures set to High, 1280x1024

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag - 35+ FPS
Normal/High Settings, No AA, 1280x1024

Heroes and Generals - 28+ FPS
Low/Normal Settings, No AA, 1280x1024

CS:GO - 60 FPS Locked (VSync)
Max Settings, 2x AA, 1280x1024

I am listing the FPS values from memory, so they might be slightly off, but the bottom line is, this APU and Motherboard handle games pretty well at a resolution larger than 720p. At 720p you would get better FPS due to the fact that it would be rendering 300 vertical pixels less which would be a decent performance boost. I would definitely go for this configuration exactly for a Media Center box.

Overall, I am very happy, again, gaming performance is awesome for an IGP, however I do have to mention that I did overclock the IGP to 1086Mhz (from 800-something default) which was a big boost as well. If I go higher on this, I will start getting "Video Driver Stopped Responding" messages with games closing on me. Not sure if I should increase CPU voltage maybe or something as well, would appreciate feedback on this.

Next, I will throw in a dedicated video card into this thing, and then it will handle games like a champ.

I paid $465 for the core components, plus another $59.99 for the case (was on sale). I would say I definitely got the bang for my buck.

Thank you guys for the advice, especially on the motherboard. It really influenced my decision towards choosing a better one and was generally very insightful.

Back