AMD Athlon 3200+ , ASUS MoBo and Win XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

astrolabe

I've upgraded dozens of systems and never had this happen before...

I've a Western Dig 5GB Hard drive with XP Pro + updates + a working set of Programs installed and setup the way I want.

I have built a new system based on AMD Athlon 3200+ with 1MB L2 Mem ie all the bells and whistles on an ASUS MoBo K8V-X which will support RAID1 for which I have 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Hard drive 80 GB internal 3.5 In SATA- installed together with 512MB of RAM.

On the WD I've got Paragon which will copy the whole system straight up onto the RAID1 setup. (Bit like Norton Ghost only better)

Set everything up booted up - Monitor displays ASUS info system fires up Windows then fails saying that some of the drivers are wrong. No worries boot up in Safe mode.

It won't do that - so we go round and round in circles... enough to know that the system is extremely rapid but not a lot of use. Frustration! If I could get to a DOS prompt it would be nice, as the Western Dig comes out of a DELL which has been sold with Win2k on it and CD, but I've no CD with XP Pro. Dell didn't provide the NHS with a CD for each license.

Anyone got any ideas how to get the system going. There is a copy of the CD Installation bits on the WD if I could get a DOS prompt...

Tom

Your post is a little confusing , but if I got it ; You are trying to Clone anO/S off of another system to a new hardware profile . XP will not tolerate that jump ,with out a clean install. If you can boot the WD in it's original Box you could pull an installation disk off of it provided you have the license Key, and the XP was originally loaded from a Microsoft disk. Dell puts a BIOS confirmation in their Installation disks so that could be a problem if the OEM version XP is just an upgrade.

the windows CD key that came with your dell was, at the time of it's shipment, written on a sticker affixed to said dell's case. regardless, you should go out and pick yourself up a copy of XP (around here i'm seeing $90 copies of winXP home) unless you find a working XP cd w/a lisence.

Worse still - There's no I386 directory to reinstall from. What a nuisance. I think I might hang on for Longhorn and see what that brings. Back to win2k in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back